DerekMadden
    DerekMadden's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Which Team are you Auto-Fading?

Every year there are teams that I put an auto-fade on (Auburn 2012),
    Who is it for you?

Numero one for me will be SMU with their atrociously bad QB.

navyblue81
    navyblue81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6657

Anyone know if Memphis is still atrocious this year? They made me lots of $$$$ last year.

FAU looked pretty bad. Nebraska's okay, but they're not that good.

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

UMass. They've been overvalued the past 2 weeks. I hated laying points with BC on the road but they got the job done. I'll do it again this week with Colorado

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15072

You need to find teams that people actually perceive as being good to pull this off.

If I had to pick one, it would be VTech. IMO, Beamer is approaching the end. Not great talent this year either.

HendoNation
    HendoNation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1194

Watch out with SMU, they have a stud QB in Texas A&M transfer Matt Davis. Whether June Jones will realize this and commit to him, I don't know. I will say that I have never seen a football team as bad as SMU was against Baylor.

Urbanwildlife
    Urbanwildlife's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    You need to find teams that people actually perceive as being good to pull this off.

If I had to pick one, it would be VTech. IMO, Beamer is approaching the end. Not great talent this year either.
    Ditto! His better days have completely past him by.

hokies21
    hokies21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 266

Ralphie. I would argue that Virginia Tech actually has some very good talent this year. Kendall Fuller, one of the top corners in the country and Brandon Fasycon, both great corners. Luther Maddy, great DT. Isaiah Ford, will be an impact freshmen at WR, Having Ryan Malleck back at TE and Bucky Hodges, will be able to create some mismatches. Although Beamer may be on his decline, still the winning active coach. Virginia Tech is in good hands with Bud Fosters Defensive able to dial in. With the recent loss of Braxton Miller, I think the playing field got very close to even. This will be a very large game for the Hokies on the road, as it will be the largest crowd they have ever played in front of, in history of the program(Until 2016,Battle at Bristol vs Tennessee). I'm not saying that the Hokies are going to go to Columbus and come out with a W, but im not saying were not going to. I think -12 they will cover, and I do they they can get the Win. Hokies Moneyline is a lean
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Urbanwildlife

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Northwestern is probably good to go again. Laying -7 to NIU likely won't work out well for them.

Actually, I take that back. Apparently there was a horrendous coaching error in defensive play calling that explains a lot.. http://www.insidenu.com/2014/9/2/609...wristbands-cal
    Last edited by suicidekings; 09-02-14 at 10:43 PM.

hokies21
    hokies21's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 266

Michael Brewer, still an unknown- but his ball placement in his first game back was great.
    Shai Mckenzie and Marshawn Williams will add great value to the run game.
    Last edited by hokies21; 09-02-14 at 10:01 PM.

Urbanwildlife
    Urbanwildlife's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by hokies21 View Post
    Ralphie. I would argue that Virginia Tech actually has some very good talent this year. Kendall Fuller, one of the top corners in the country and Brandon Fasycon, both great corners. Luther Maddy, great DT. Isaiah Ford, will be an impact freshmen at WR, Having Ryan Malleck back at TE and Bucky Hodges, will be able to create some mismatches. Although Beamer may be on his decline, still the winning active coach. Virginia Tech is in good hands with Bud Fosters Defensive able to dial in. With the recent loss of Braxton Miller, I think the playing field got very close to even. This will be a very large game for the Hokies on the road, as it will be the largest crowd they have ever played in front of, in history of the program(Until 2016,Battle at Bristol vs Tennessee). I'm not saying that the Hokies are going to go to Columbus and come out with a W, but im not saying were not going to. I think -12 they will cover, and I do they they can get the Win. Hokies Moneyline is a lean
    Nice response.

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

These are wise words. Often times it’s a residual perception about teams from the past year or years. Understanding the psychology of the betting marketplace can, as I always say, put you onto some winners, or at least take you off of some losers.
    Good Luck guys.

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

that isn't true in the least. If a team is overvalued, they could be #1 in power ratings or they could be #128

DerekMadden

Quote Originally Posted by TPowell View Post
    that isn't true in the least. If a team is overvalued, they could be #1 in power ratings or they could be #128
    This exactly, a couple years ago I had Akron as an auto-fade team and won like 80%. The point isn't whether the team is normally good or not

KVB
    It's not what they bring...
    KVB's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7576

Perception is everything. With few exceptions, it’s perception that drives the value; whether you are a casual fan or a hardcore number crunching stats guy. A widely known set of power rankings may influence public perception, but it’s only one piece of the pie.

Oddsmakers and bookmakers can be outright wrong, and bookmakers can shade their lines or take positions; but in general, if you feel a team is overvalued know that it is because the public perceives that team to be better in a particular matchup than you perceive them to be.That team is perceived as a better team, no matter where they are ranked on someone’s power ratings.

That residual perception I mentioned earlier can last for many weeks before the marketplace catches up. There is opportunity every year with this.

I understand what you are saying; bad teams (even publicly) can be overvalued. But was the team perceived as better than they are, or did the public misjudge the opponent? Both are possible.

If you are using some sort of publicized power rankings to gauge public opinion or create your own point spread or moneyline be very careful, it’s valuable but it’s not the whole story. You might think about creating your own power rankings; in both cases it would be likely make a more valid line.

We are betting against other bettors in the marketplace. The perception of those bettors and the marketplace itself are what matters. Any team and any game can be mispriced.

Of course, I suppose if you are going to automatically bet against a team each week, value and pricing have little meaning.

Look at SMU. The perception may be that SMU is bad, and they probably are, but the value of the line each week should guide your bet, taking you off of some losers, and hopefully adding some winners.

G
    ood Luck

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

Air Force. Starting with Wyoming this week

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15072

Quote Originally Posted by TPowell View Post
    I think it's more true than picking on a patsy to always not cover. From the book's standpoint, they at least know that the public will be more apt to jump on a tasty line from a well-known team (2013 Florida) than the people who have found a doormat that keeps getting blown out. IMO, books catch up to the latter first.

hawg200
    hawg200's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

VANDERBILT....They looked attrocious

tokio
    tokio's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2886

Southern Miss. This is the absolute worst team year in and year out. UMass and Uconn are not far behind.

DerekMadden

SMU is GARBAGE.