Straight Cash
    Straight Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Are you able to successfully cap the team you root for?

Are you able to successfully cap the team you root for? I've had some success capping Michigan State, by no means rolling in dough, but I'm definitely up. Do you guys cap the team you root for or stay away? I was considering getting a small group (5ish) around to see if we wanted to pool some points and cap only 1 team each for the season, would there be any interest in that?

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

I really think my best picks are on my own team. I've won a hell of a lot more betting on or even against them than lost.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Quote Originally Posted by Straight Cash View Post
    Are you able to successfully cap the team you root for? I've had some success capping Michigan State, by no means rolling in dough, but I'm definitely up. Do you guys cap the team you root for or stay away? I was considering getting a small group (5ish) around to see if we wanted to pool some points and cap only 1 team each for the season, would there be any interest in that?
    You are saying two different things. Picking one team does NOT necessairily mean picking "your" team. If you keep accurate records, you will see that wagering on "your team" is a losing proposition. Your team may get good for a year or two, but overall, it is a loser. That is because you are wagering with your heart and NOT your brain.

Straight Cash
    Straight Cash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    You are saying two different things. Picking one team does NOT necessairily mean picking "your" team. If you keep accurate records, you will see that wagering on "your team" is a losing proposition. Your team may get good for a year or two, but overall, it is a loser. That is because you are wagering with your heart and NOT your brain.
    Agree to disagree, I think it can be done if you are realistic and disciplined. I've done it and am up over the course of 6 years.

Urbanwildlife
    Urbanwildlife's Avatar Become A Pro!

Very very difficult to do, as emotions eventually have an influence on your plays at some point.

survive
    and advance
    survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8560

I would be interesting in capping MSU with you. I'm a recent alum so I've been following spartan football closely for the past 6 years

Cuse0323

Yeah, you don't have to take them every game and can go against them at times. My three biggest wins in CFB were Syracuse over KSU in the Pinstripe Bowl, SU at Mizzou 2012 and SU over WVU in the other Pinstripe Bowl win. The Mizzou one wasn't easy but no one expected that though I saw the value in the ML.

I look objectively at Syracuse, I told everyone to take them over 4.5 wins last year and that was pretty easy. I'm doing the same this year but we'll see the results. I think that cashes with ease as well.

No one knows Syracuse better than me on the forums so I'd rather bet on them than teams I'm not too sure on.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    Yeah, you don't have to take them every game and can go against them at times. My three biggest wins in CFB were Syracuse over KSU in the Pinstripe Bowl, SU at Mizzou 2012 and SU over WVU in the other Pinstripe Bowl win. The Mizzou one wasn't easy but no one expected that though I saw the value in the ML.

I look objectively at Syracuse, I told everyone to take them over 4.5 wins last year and that was pretty easy. I'm doing the same this year but we'll see the results. I think that cashes with ease as well.

No one knows Syracuse better than me on the forums so I'd rather bet on them than teams I'm not too sure on.
    I will certainly challenge you on your last statement. First, the number on Syracuse is 6. Losses to Notre Dame, Louisville, Florida State, and Clemson, plus potential losses to Maryland, Duke, and at Pitt and Boston College to end the season makes it rather unlikely that Syracure will win more than 6 games, which would be needed to cover that wager. It certainly is more likely that the Orange lose 7 games than win 7 games. There are many games in the schedule that are crap shoots, but Syracuse does not have the talent to compete with Florida State, Clemson, Louisville, and Notre Dame. Syracuse was 6-5-1 ATS last season, which is a loser. They were favored in just two games last season. That will NOT be the case this season. Syracuse is on my "Potential Fade" list.

Cuse0323

We'll see, I'll let the season play out as there's no need to talk in circles for another two months. I'm not sure why you feel they have no chance against ND and L'Ville....especially L'Ville at home on a Friday night.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    We'll see, I'll let the season play out as there's no need to talk in circles for another two months. I'm not sure why you feel they have no chance against ND and L'Ville....especially L'Ville at home on a Friday night.
    Right now, Notre Dame is a 5 1/2 point favorite against the Orange in Jersey and Louisville is now a 2 point favorite, in a game that opened as a pick. One of Syracuse's major problems is a total lack of a real home field advantage. They play in a small field to begin with, which is the reason why some of their non-con games against big name competition gets moved to East Rutherford NJ. They do not do well in Jersey, having lost to USC and Penn State. I think that as a grad, you must admit that the Orange certainly lack the home field advantage that many of their conference rivals have. Syracuse is a Basketball school. The football team does not have the backing of the students or the alumni that the Hoops team has. The Football team only averaged about 38,500 fans per game in 2013. Not very good.

Cuse0323

It's tough for me to consider the Dome small since it can hold 50K and when it does, it's rocking. I know 50K is small in the college football world but in a Dome, that noise can be deafening. All that aside, you're right. Plus, I haven't been to any other big time college football stadium yet so it's hard for me to judge.

The football program is still working on getting the support that it had in the late 80's and 90's. It definitely isn't the greatest home field advantage but it is getting closer to respectable. The Clemson game last year had tons of support and was very loud until the game got out of reach. I think the L'Ville crowd will be solid on a Friday night. As for ND and having to playing at MetLife, that's a money thing and ND not wanting to play us in the Dome. Our AD fcked that deal up. It's the same with the other big names, they don't want to come to the Dome and give us a home and home since we've been down and it wouldn't be good if they lost. We just got a home and home with LSU though, which will be awesome. They're coming to Syracuse in 2015 then we go to Baton Rouge in 2017.

ND only 5.5 favorites and Syracuse a home dog on Friday night against L'Ville. I'll take my shot that we win one.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

You also play Notre Dame in 2016 in East Rutherford. It is a money situation. 50,000 fans just will not cut it for some teams. Your biggest game this season just may be your home game against Maryland. A win should take you to 3-0, but a loss makes it 2-1 with Notre Dame, Louisville, and Florida State on deck. That makes or breaks your season. Most people have Syracuse winning 6 games along with Boston College and N.C. State. That seems about right.

rock1010
    wtf
    rock1010's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

I cap UGA and I am on Clemson (+9) for the opener

I would have Georgia minus 3 or 4 personally. I know Boyd and Watkins are gone but this is an old school rivalry.

Its a win/win really. Either the Dawgs roll up Clemson and I lose a bit of moolah or I win money. Best case is GA wins by a TD.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by rock1010 View Post
    I cap UGA and I am on Clemson (+9) for the opener

I would have Georgia minus 3 or 4 personally. I know Boyd and Watkins are gone but this is an old school rivalry.

Its a win/win really. Either the Dawgs roll up Clemson and I lose a bit of moolah or I win money. Best case is GA wins by a TD.
    9 points is a lot, but it is NOT 10. Both teams lose their record setting starting QB's. Georgia has a distinct advantage here because QB Mason did get a couple of starts last season when Murray was injured. They also have RB Gurley returning. Both teams should be improved on defense, if Georgia can keep their team in tact and stop the usual rash of players getting kicked off the team for stupid things. So far, they have lost three potential starters in the secondary with Safety Harvey-Clemons, Safety Matthews and Corner Wiggins all being kicked off the team. So typical for Georgia.

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

I have had trouble doing this in past but will be on other side vs Oregon week 2 when they play Michigan St.

Just think 13 points too many for that game

rock1010
    wtf
    rock1010's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

9 points is a lot, but it is NOT 10. Both teams lose their record setting starting QB's. Georgia has a distinct advantage here because QB Mason did get a couple of starts last season when Murray was injured. They also have RB Gurley returning. Both teams should be improved on defense, if Georgia can keep their team in tact and stop the usual rash of players getting kicked off the team for stupid things. So far, they have lost three potential starters in the secondary with Safety Harvey-Clemons, Safety Matthews and Corner Wiggins all being kicked off the team. So typical for Georgia.
    Yeah its too bad we kick players off for smoking weed and they go to Auburn...

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by rock1010 View Post
    Yeah its too bad we kick players off for smoking weed and they go to Auburn...
    Auburn is desperate. It is just a matter of time beefore the NCAA hammer comes down on them. Also remember that they get to lose to Alabama 5 years out of 6.