firekillex
    firekillex's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by brooks85 View Post
    depends what "striker" means to you. To me striking involves the whole facet of striking which means not getting hit in the head. Therefore, conor is not a great striker. He could be if ever went to a real camp or got some real training but until then he is just throwing caution to the wind each fight.

Not a great striker, great puncher you could say. I used to think the diaz bros were great strikers, they are not. They eat punches like I eat cereal for breakfast. They are good but not great and conor is not amazing. If he fights like previous fights either luck is going to be on his side again because eddie is going to have to no problem landing or lucks runs out and he get destroyed by a real striker.

But, could turn out conor has a chin we don't know about yet. That is possible too.
    a striker would be somebody who has elite striking lol...if you have over 80% ko ratio at a lower weight and you have over 20 wins that would typically mean you are a striker by the exact definition?? just because hes been hit the last 2 fights against a bigger opponent means absolutely nothing, diaz literally hits every single person he fights basically , hes long and doesnt throw huge power so he can hit you multiple times without doing tons of damage.. by that logic that would mean anderson silva isnt a striker because hes been hit before? All strikers have different styles , the diaz brothers are elite boxers just because there style is pidder padder punches they win by an accumulation of shots and outworking the opponent , they have granite chins which they use to there advantage by gassing out opponents and taking there will because they get hit by the opponents biggest shot and just eat it, anderson silva would bob and weave and take his opponents will that way by making them miss, mcgregor stalks forward and uses elite movement to move out of shots and land big uppercuts/ straight lefts its mma everybody gets hit , he was barely hit in his whole ufc career before the diaz fights so doesnt make much sense imo .. eddies been hit a ton more then him

UncleChael
    Tell 'em UncleChael sent ya
    UncleChael's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125

'Conor got his ass beat' - Nathan Diaz

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

- In Part 1 of the UFC 205 preview, Forrest Griffin and Matt Parrino break down some of the best fights to come. Including Chris Weidman vs Yoel Romero, Donald Cerrone vs Kelvin Gastelum, Rashad Evans vs Tim Kennedy and more.

UncleChael
    Tell 'em UncleChael sent ya
    UncleChael's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125

'Take those stupid ass glasses off' - Alvarez
    *McGregor takes off glassses*
    Points Awarded:

Thrilla gave UncleChael 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

Quote Originally Posted by firekillex View Post
    a striker would be somebody who has elite striking lol...if you have over 80% ko ratio at a lower weight and you have over 20 wins that would typically mean you are a striker by the exact definition?? just because hes been hit the last 2 fights against a bigger opponent means absolutely nothing, diaz literally hits every single person he fights basically , hes long and doesnt throw huge power so he can hit you multiple times without doing tons of damage.. by that logic that would mean anderson silva isnt a striker because hes been hit before? All strikers have different styles , the diaz brothers are elite boxers just because there style is pidder padder punches they win by an accumulation of shots and outworking the opponent , they have granite chins which they use to there advantage by gassing out opponents and taking there will because they get hit by the opponents biggest shot and just eat it, anderson silva would bob and weave and take his opponents will that way by making them miss, mcgregor stalks forward and uses elite movement to move out of shots and land big uppercuts/ straight lefts its mma everybody gets hit , he was barely hit in his whole ufc career before the diaz fights so doesnt make much sense imo .. eddies been hit a ton more then him
    but we are not talking about whether he is a striker or not...

he is not an amazing striker or you are misusing the word imo. Amazing strikers don't eat punches like he does and he has been hit more than just his last two fights.
    Last edited by brooks85; 10-29-16 at 01:59 PM.

Hugo de Naranja
    Hugo de Naranja's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 621

Well there is a difference between striking offense and defense. Typically the word striker describes a person's striking offense. For instance, I think Stephen Thompson is the best striker in the UFC but he still gets hit plenty and has been dropped on multiple occasions. Guys like McGregor are clearly excellent strikers although they do not possess elite striking defense.
    Points Awarded:

firekillex gave Hugo de Naranja 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: firekillex

Hugo de Naranja

Usually people use the word "standup" to encapsulate both striking offense and defense.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend

- Joe Rogan & Co. (Brendan Schaub, Cameron Hanes & Eddie Bravo) on Conor McGregor vs Eddie Alvarez.

Hugo de Naranja

Anyone think Michael Johnson is actually a pretty bad matchup for Khabib?

firekillex
    firekillex's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo de Naranja View Post
    yup i do, i think hell look good early if he can keep on the outside and use his speed it could be a fantastic matchup imo
    khabib has fought once against a bum in the past couple years so im excited to see what he looks like against an elite talent that has solid wrestling... gun to my head khabib by decision but this is a tough fight

Hugo de Naranja

Yeah I bet Khabib (-165) small because I figured that would be the best line we'd get but I'm considering switching to Johnson here. He has an incredible record as a betting underdog, something like 4-1 and he matches up well with Nurmy.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend

- Before UFC 205, see how Joanna Jedrzejczyk and Karolina Kowalkiewicz ended up in their showdown at the New York event.
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave Thrilla 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11790

Yeah I bet Khabib (-165) small because I figured that would be the best line we'd get but I'm considering switching to Johnson here. He has an incredible record as a betting underdog, something like 4-1 and he matches up well with Nurmy.
    Khabib is gonna be to slick for MJ standing and I think he wins this by decision at +125.. Khabib is the more technical striker and I'm betting this fight stays on the feet the entire time..

Hugo de Naranja

I don't think Khabib will want to stand with MJ. Johnson has shown quick hands with good counter-striking. Re-watched the Khabib vs. Tibau fight recently and noticed how much he got tagged when he couldn't get the takedown and that makes me think it's possible Johnson catches him with something.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

I don't think Khabib will want to stand with MJ. Johnson has shown quick hands with good counter-striking. Re-watched the Khabib vs. Tibau fight recently and noticed how much he got tagged when he couldn't get the takedown and that makes me think it's possible Johnson catches him with something.
    Well maybe you're right and Khabib does go for the take downs... Either way Khabib is on a crazy win streak, he's winning his fights by decision when he doesn't get the KO finish.. MJ has the granite jaw so I don't see Khabib getting the KO in this fight.. Khabib was able to clearly out work and strike RDA for a UN decision win recently which is not easy to do..

I find it very difficult to bet against Khabib right now.. Take a look at his record Hugo... Very impressive 23 fight undefeated winning streak going.. This Russian doesn't lose...

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Khabi...agomedov-56035

On the Flip when MJ loses fights it's by decision recently.. http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Michael-Johnson-68788

Hugo de Naranja

I love Khabib, don't get me wrong, just don't love the matchup for him. I did bet Khabib Submission at (+620) since MJ has been prone to being subbed throughout his career.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

I love Khabib, don't get me wrong, just don't love the matchup for him. I did bet Khabib Submission at (+620) since MJ has been prone to being subbed throughout his career.
    I was thinking Khabib by Submission also if not by decision.. I just figured MJ has gotten much better on the ground with defending submissions since his last submission loss which was over 3 years ago..

Could happen though as Khabib does have decent submissions in his arsenal..

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend

- John Ramdeen and Robin Black preview Alvarez vs McGregor on 5 Rounds.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

^^ Eddie gonna get KO'd Thrilla killa... It's a done deal.. Eddie never had great head movement or defense and will get hit.... Perfect matchup for the bigger McGregor me tinks.. Sacrificial lamb Eddie will be unfortunately...

Bet the house on McIrish in this one and by KO. Easy money...

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend

Jibbbs you are overconfident, money management is sacred. remember that.

I think I'l be more confident backing Alvarez LIVE in the later rounds considering the cardio advantage and expecting Mcgregor to be leading on the scoreboards by then. Odds will be high. I'd rather lose my money this way.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    Jibbbs you are overconfident, money management is sacred. remember that.

I think I'l be more confident backing Alvarez LIVE in the later rounds considering the cardio advantage and expecting Mcgregor to be leading on the scoreboards by then. Odds will be high. I'd rather lose my money this way.

Sometimes you gotta take a shot or life becomes boring and a grind..
    Only sometimes though....

Is this my shot, no.. Do I think it's a solid bet, yes..
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave JIBBBY 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

lokihayze
    lokihayze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 124

I reckon Eddie's gonna have a bad time in this fight too. Don't like betting McGregor fights as a general rule, but if I were betting this fight I'd take McGregor

rsynweap84
    rsynweap84's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1591

I gotta say I don't exactly like this match-up for McGregor. I have been pouring through his fights, and even in his most recent ones there are some serious flaws that Alvarez can exploit. That said lets get one thing straight first, because Conor isn't all flaws, he's a champ.

He'll definitely have advantages in his stand-up game, more specifically if he keeps it at distance. If he stays at distance, paces himself like the last fight against Diaz, and waits for openings I think he has a good shot at landing a finishing blow for a KO. Especially in the first 2 rounds, after that, he'll need a second wind. He might actually have the ability to last until round 3, I expect his cardio to be a bit more stable here at this weight class, but it is a fundamental problem that McGregor has been shown to have. Stay fast, stay light, stay mobile, use the technical striking, and this should be a wrap...

The danger for him however is very great, the aforementioned cardio, for one, his wrestling weakness, though McGregor has shown improved TD defense. That said, Diaz doesn't take you down like Alvarez. The types of take-downs he'll have to be on guard against will be more like those of Mendes, but make no mistake Alvarez uses trips and throws in addition to shooting. This is one of the reasons I think the more Conor can operate from the center, the better, because you'll encounter another problem in the clinch against the cage, which I'll elaborate on in a bit. It's not a big secret, if this goes to the ground Conor will have little in the way of wrestling/BJJ to counter with. However while Mendes was able to use TD's to get Conor down and some GnP, in the end it didn't pay off very well. Alvarez is gonna be heavier, this is gonna make Conor work harder for those 2 rounds. Alvarez then has the option of using GnP, or submissions to finish this fight, both will be more intense than what Mendes was servin', and unlike Mendes, Alvarez won't run out of gas doing so. The ground is just a horrible place to be for Conor, pure and simple, if he wants to lose, this is where it'll most likely happen.

There is however another area where he can lose in stand-up, and that is in the clinch, or against the cage. Conor is pretty tough I admit, but if he gets caught like Eddie caught Cowboy in his clinch at his debut, this could end badly. Cowboy tends to be able to take a few head punches, Conor can withstand some too. Diaz was able to hurt Conor on his feet when he closed that gap, even Conors head didn't react to well to those punches, they helped end the first match between them, and might have ended the second. What I find more troubling though, is not the shots to Conor's head, but the ones Diaz landed to his body at the end of the third round. When I saw that I started right back at the beginning pouring through fight after fight of Conor. In none of those fights did Conor show what he showed in the second Diaz fight, were not talking liver shots here just straight gut punches, and the pain on his face was quite shocking. Now couple that with the effect those kinds of punches have on your cardio, and the fact that Eddie has no quarrels about opening up with a flurry of body shots, this could spell disaster for Conor. He already has known cardio issues, body shots and trying to stave off wrestling are not going to help the situation anymore in his favor.

In summary, I do think the odds are correct, I do favor Conor in this match-up, more specifically in rounds 1 and 2. He has the tools to strike from a distance via kicks, and punches. He would do well to keep control of the center and even utilize his leg kicks from his last match with Diaz, just as Cowboy did to Eddie. In these rounds he will be faster, and more accurate, all he has to do is keep it standing.
    Nearing the end of round 2, Eddie should start to open up with more weapons. Unfortunately they are more numerous, and after his debut with Cowboy he seems to be aware of what leg kicks can do, and may be watching for them. Eddie has been rocked numerous times though, in many fights, but Conor will have to do more than that, rocking Alvarez hasn't stopped him from winning. Decision wise I think Conor's name has the better edge here, so unless it's just a lopsided beat down by Alvarez, Conor will take the D. I don't think it will go to that tbh.

$250.00 $607.50 Pending 11/12/16 11:59pm MMA Props Fighting 1005 Alvarez wins inside distance +243*vs Not Alvarez inside distance
    Points Awarded:

turbozed gave rsynweap84 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend

- John Ramdeen and Robin Black preview Rashad Evans vs. Tim Kennedy and Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Michael Johnson.

lokihayze
    lokihayze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 124

Bro I've been watching MJ fights and he's a bloody terrible matchup for khabib honestly. MJ is like holly holm, epic counter striker. Look at all his big successes and wins inside the ring. All of them come against opponents who pressure him :/ khabib is the ultimate pressure fighter. Khabib leaves himself open all the time. Even joe rogan commented during the rda fights 'he's just reckless' speaking about how khabib rushes in for the take down and leaves himself open. We could seriously see a Ronda/ holly style upset with MJ.
    Not sure if I'll touch this one.
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave lokihayze 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

KushMoney
    KushMoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 73

I'm pretty sure Khabib is gonna school MJ round 1. Takedowns and all that good stuff. MJ spends round on his back essentially.

Round 2 MJ is gonna start to land and not get taken down as much. Closer round.

Round 3 Khabib is gonna look dramatically slowed down and is going to take damage clear round for MJ.

All the action comes in on Khabib. Judges screw him over for the gomble. MJ wins by decision.

UFC realizes "oh this guy was demanding a title shot? Fukk him and fukk Russia. You'll do nuttin"

My prediction of MJ vs. Khabib is spot on and you all know it. Hahahaha

KushMoney

My side prediction is due to ring rust Khabib starts off slow and MJ actually lands a lot and wins Round 1 and some of round 2. After getting tired from whooping khabibs ass MJ starts to slow down towards the end of R2 and Khabibs natural wrestling instinct takes over and he begins to take control of the fight. Possibly too little too late, Khabib dominates R3 and leaves it to the judges. The results reflect the odds as it comes down to a close decision. Khabib via split. MJ feels he won the fight but who cares.

KushMoney

The 2nd one is my real prediction but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Khabib lost.

Heyeverybody99
    Heyeverybody99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3245

Bet of the year: Johnson +260

Igor_1965
    200 Independence Avenue
    Igor_1965's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 142

Conor wins and continues the trash talking.

KushMoney

My prediction for McGregor vs. Alvarez is that Alvarez fails to follow Mark Henry's game plan and engages McGregor early and gets caught by that left hand. Conor wins and holds both belts.

McGregor's announcement is that he will be taking a break from MMA and starts boxing. Fights mayweather for 50 million and has more leverage on the UFC if he does return.

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

You sir are out of your mind LOL....He does and even more so with the diamond win....but be real.....this will look like Ben Askren Vs Koreshkov IMO......just tossing him around.....just 2 diff levels here .....johnson will be lucky to run and jab imo....

PaperTrail07

I see it as MJ dances and lands almost nothing....ties up on the cage....he goes down....and repeat w a few standups....

Hugo de Naranja

Quote Originally Posted by PaperTrail07 View Post
    I see it as MJ dances and lands almost nothing....ties up on the cage....he goes down....and repeat w a few standups....
    That's definitely possible. Khabib probably has the best TDs in MMA. But apart from that, his arsenal of scary weapons is relatively limited. His supreme takedown skills have been enough to win all 23 of his pro fights so far. But aside from RDA, what credible wins over elite competition does he have on his resume? In the event that he can't get the takedown, how do you see this one playing out?

PaperTrail07

Honestly if he cant get the takedown...MJ cruises 30-27 right?....however I consider Thiago Tavares, Healy, RDA, Tibau all pretty solid....and how 1 sided they were...and if you look at MJ wins....all stand up guys....guys that beat him seems to be tricky A and B ground guys IMO....
    That's definitely possible. Khabib probably has the best TDs in MMA. But apart from that, his arsenal of scary weapons is relatively limited. His supreme takedown skills have been enough to win all 23 of his pro fights so far. But aside from RDA, what credible wins over elite competition does he have on his resume? In the event that he can't get the takedown, how do you see this one playing out?
    Points Awarded:

Hugo de Naranja gave PaperTrail07 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

First 123456 ... Last