Rich Benjamins
    Rich Benjamins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3698

Bellator 161

The lines are up for Bellator 161. Here are Nick Kalikas' opening lines: http://www.mmaoddsbreaker.com/news/b...-betting-odds/

Some of the lines have changed pretty strong, a lot of money coming in on Congo. Anyone betting on this? I still need to do my research.

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Those lines look ok.

Only error is Joe Warren should be a fav over Sirwan Kakai.

Rich Benjamins

A lot of people disagree, say Warren is washed up. I'm tempted to take Kakai at +100. I'd take Anastasia at -420, Tony Johnson is a possiblity at -160 now. Djamil Chan looks pretty vicious, I may pass on that one and not take Campos or Chan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity Check View Post
    Those lines look ok.

Only error is Joe Warren should be a fav over Sirwan Kakai.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

Sanity Check

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Benjamins View Post
    A lot of people disagree, say Warren is washed up. I'm tempted to take Kakai at +100. I'd take Anastasia at -420, Tony Johnson is a possiblity at -160 now. Djamil Chan looks pretty vicious, I may pass on that one and not take Campos or Chan.
    Kakai looked terrible in his last fight & he looked terrible in his fight before that one.

Joe Warren is like 5'5. He was dominated by the bigger, heavier, wrestler in Darrion Caldwell who stands close to 5'10.

I would give Warren a slight edge over Kakai.

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

Kongo/Johnson Under 2.5 +125 and Kongo.....Warren is washed up but he could win this...

Rich Benjamins

I put a good bet down on Yankova. Not sure if I'll bet anything else. Yankova is training full time in Thailand, she's really serious now doesn't do any modeling or anything else anymore.

PaperTrail07

ok dont know much about it---I'll tail.....the under 2.5 +125 is my bet for the card if i had to pick one...
    I put a good bet down on Yankova. Not sure if I'll bet anything else. Yankova is training full time in Thailand, she's really serious now doesn't do any modeling or anything else anymore.

Sanity Check

Tony Johnson is tough. He used to train at AKA with Cain Velasquez, Daniel Cormier and those guys.

I don't know where he's training now or what he's doing. But he might have a chance of beating Kongo.

Don't know why people are saying Joe Warren is washed up. He got beat by a bigger wrestler who was a NCAA division 1 champion.

Its not like he got outwrestled by a scrub.

Joe Warren is something like 3 years younger than Cheick Kongo. If Joe Warren is washed up, what does that make Kongo?

Rich Benjamins

Tony Johnson is tough. He used to train at AKA with Cain Velasquez, Daniel Cormier and those guys.

I don't know where he's training now or what he's doing. But he might have a chance of beating Kongo.

Don't know why people are saying Joe Warren is washed up. He got beat by a bigger wrestler who was a NCAA division 1 champion.

Its not like he got outwrestled by a scrub.

Joe Warren is something like 3 years younger than Cheick Kongo. If Joe Warren is washed up, what does that make Kongo?
    You make a good point but some fighters decline faster than others. For example, Condit is 32 and is looking to retire, said he can't take big shots anymore. I haven't been following Warren close enough to see if he's declining or not.

Sanity Check

You make a good point but some fighters decline faster than others. For example, Condit is 32 and is looking to retire, said he can't take big shots anymore. I haven't been following Warren close enough to see if he's declining or not.
    It looks to me like Warren is spending as little on coaches and training as possible. His wrestling is very good. His sub game is meh. His stand up striking game is meh. Maybe because he's not spending money on jits or kickboxing coaches to train him. He could improve a lot if he took his training more seriously.

He's never looked washed up though. Dantas caught him with a sub, could've happened to anyone. Darrion Caldwell is a great wrestler in his own right with a big size and weight advantage. Warren didn't look washed up in either of those fights.

Sanity Check

This is what Joe Warren said about his fight with Caldwell.

While Warren looked outclassed against Caldwell, appearances might not be all that they seem. The former two-division champ claims that he suffered an injury early in that fight that severely hindered his ability to compete.

“It sucks losing. I’m not used to it. It’s a hard thing for me to do. That being said, I dislocated my kneecap and tore my MCL off that first takedown,” Warren said. “I was in a weird place that I’m not used to: stuck on the ground not able to stand up. And I stood up and got body slammed and choked.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Joe-Warren-Bellator-161-Foe-Sirwan-Kakai-More-Dangerous-Than-Champ-Eduardo-Dantas-111123

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11874

MMA MANIA short write ups and predictions -

265 lbs.: Cheick Kongo (24-10-2) vs. Tony Johnson (10-2)
    It's time for the Heavyweight division in Bellator to get serious, and fights like this one will separate the wheat from the chaff, determining the true contenders. Since the title is vacant right now, the winner can argue to be one half of a fight to crown a new champion. Kongo can make the argument by saying, "been there, done that" as a long-time UFC and Bellator veteran, and winner of six out of eight since he moved under the Viacom umbrella. Two straight wins over Alexander Volkov and Vinicius Queiroz show that even at 41 years old, he's not going away any time soon. Neither of those fights delivered much in the way of excitement, though, which is where "Hulk" Johnson may have the edge.

Half of his wins (five out of 10) come by way of knockout, including a finish against former boxing star Raphael Butler. Plenty of Heavyweights would love to have his track record, which includes career wins over Tim Sylvia and Derrick "The Black Best" Lewis. And defeating Kongo would not only be another feather in his cap but his fourth straight win and fourth overall in Bellator.
    For Kongo the key to victory is to slow down Johnson, make him fight in the clinch, then punish him with his size and power. At 6'4" vs. 6'1," he holds a height advantage, and at 82" vs. 74" he has an even bigger reach advantage. Johnson needs to be cautious of those advantages, but not overly so, because the smaller "King Mo" Lawal already solved this puzzle with his speed and wrestling ability. That's how Johnson can win the fight -- be the first to engage and take down Kongo when he tries to clinch. The 30-year-old should be fast enough to pull it off.
    Final prediction: Tony Johnson defeats Cheick Kongo via unanimous decision

135 lbs.: Joe Warren (13-5) vs. Sirwan Kakai (12-4)

The winds of fortune have swept away everything we knew about the Bantamweight division. Marcos Galvao took away the title from Joe Warren, then Eduardo Dantas took it from Galvao by beating him for a second time. Warren could have earned a rematch, but he was dominated by Darrion Caldwell, and before Caldwell could cash in for a title shot, he suffered his first loss against Joe Taimanglo. Every possible scenario at 135 pounds is now up in the air save for Taimanglo now being in position to challenge Dantas.
    Warren has a chance to get back into the mix with this fight, and history suggests he has a chance since he has only lost two fights in a row once in his MMA career. Kakai already has two losses in a row coming in, but one was to the aforementioned Taimanglo and the other was a close split decision loss to Frankie Saenz. Much like the main event, we have a sizable age difference as Warren is 39 and Kakai is 26, but nothing motivates "The Baddest Man on the Planet" like being told what he can't do.
    That would normally be enough, but Warren is coming off a torn MCL, and if that has hurt his mobility or his speed the takedowns won't be there. If we learned anything from the Caldwell fight, it's that when the takedowns aren't there for Warren, things can go bad ... quickly. Kakai may be the less experienced fighter, but he has more finishes -- four knockouts and six submissions to Warren's three and one submission, respectively. I don't suggest Kakai stand and trade with a three-time Bellator champion, though. Speed and movement are his keys to victory in Texas.
    Final prediction: Sirwan Kakai takes home a unanimous decision

125 lbs.: Anastasia Yankova (3-0) vs. Veta Arteaga (2-0)

This is a huge chance for Bellator to show off Yankova, a fighter who is eager to prove she's more than just a pretty face even though that's all some fans care about. After her promotional debut in Italy, fans should at least be aware of her submission skills, and although she's training with the American Kickboxing Academy ahead of her trip to Texas, she admits that her strength is Brazilian jiu-jitsu and her plan is to go for her fourth submission.
    Arteaga gets to enter the fight in the enviable position of knowing that she can play the spoiler role in a main card fight on Spike TV, not having nearly the expectations or pressure placed on Yankova's shoulders. She already proved herself on Bellator 155's "Prelims" undercard and won't have any first time Bellator jitters, but Yankova herself got those out of the way in Torino. Arteaga is a tough, durable fighter from Idaho, but with what little we've seen of her, we can't call her a finisher after two decisions. Yankova seems to have the killer instinct that Arteaga lacks.
    Final prediction: Anastasia Yankova improves to 4-0 with a first round submission

155 lbs.: Derek Campos (16-6) vs. Djamil Chan (12-2)

The lesser known Chan shouldn't be taken lightly going into this bout. He's on a seven-fight win streak dating back to 2013, has knockouts in nine of his 12 wins, and scored a highly impressive first round finish of Richard Patishnock at Bellator 143. The flipside of that coin is that Chan lost a fight to Marcin Wrzosek to get onto The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 22, one that doesn't officially count on his record because it's considered an exhibition fight, but it shows that Chan can come up short in a big fight. Coming off a big finish against Melvin Guillard, Campos could inch closer to contention with a second straight win, but two wins in a row has been a tough proposition for a while now. This is virtually a coin flip.
    Final prediction: Djamil Chan takes a close split decision

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

I'm playing the favorites... All 4 of them myself.. I couldn't sniff out a dog worth playing on this card...

Kongo (41) and Warren (39) are simply too old now and both should lose IMO to the younger skilled fighters.. Young mans sport... Simply said is my thinking... These match ups are tough as well for the 2 older guys..

Further more, Warren coming of that MCL injury may have lost some of his explosiveness, if this fight stays standing I think he gets out pointed.. Kongo is facing a dude that can out wrestle him or KO him in Tony Johnson.. Not an easy match up for Kongo and Joe Warren....

On Derrick Campos and Yankova straight as well (parlay'd)..

Bellator 161 - Heavyweight 3 rounds - H-E-B Center - Cedar Park, Texas - Spike TV
    Fri 9/16 3001 Tony Johnson Jr -135 o2½ -155
    10:30PM 3002 Cheick Kongo +115 u2½ +135
    Bellator 161 - Bantamweight 3 rounds - H-E-B Center - Cedar Park, Texas - Spike TV
    Fri 9/16 3101 Sirwan Kakai -135 o2½ -180
    10:00PM 3102 Joe Warren +115 u2½ +158
    Bellator 161 - Flyweight 3 rounds - H-E-B Center - Cedar Park, Texas - Spike TV
    Fri 9/16 3201 Veta Arteaga +340 o1½ -110
    9:30PM 3202 Anastasia Yankova -425 u1½ -110
    Bellator 161 - Lightweight 3 rounds - H-E-B Center - Cedar Park, Texas - Spike TV
    Fri 9/16 3301 Djamil Chan +115 o1½ -130
    9:00PM 3302 Derek Campos -135 u1½ +110

PaperTrail07

Under 2.5 JIBBBBERs Kongo is Kill or be killed these days...
    Points Awarded:

JIBBBY gave PaperTrail07 5 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47523

Warren has no sponsors for tonight and is having trouble feeding his family:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2016/9/16...having-trouble

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by PaperTrail07 View Post
    Under 2.5 JIBBBBERs Kongo is Kill or be killed these days...
    I like it at those odds.. I try it for small.. If it becomes a ground fight lay and pray then we could be in trouble.. Big guys do finish though most of the time..

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEPEAVY21 View Post

Joe Warren should start a gym or get a desk job.. His days are numbered in this sport anyways.. Should be planning for his future outside of Bellator and MMA..

Bellator pays him to fight for now.. He won't be flat broke after this fight...

PaperTrail07

to be honest-thats somewhat sad to hear

PaperTrail07

after reading-remove somewhat ---crazy..all he has done US wrestler-16 fights in bellator....and nothing---sure he mismanaged some $ here and there but DAMN

Rich Benjamins

I'm wondering if this is a positive or a negative to how he'll perform in the cage. Either it motivates him to work harder to get that win to feed his family, or it demoralizes him and he'll perform worse.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47523

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Joe Warren should start a gym or get a desk job.. His days are numbered in this sport anyways.. Should be planning for his future outside of Bellator and MMA..

Bellator pays him to fight for now.. He won't be flat broke after this fight...
    Maybe he can sell cars..hook him up jibberino! !

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Maybe he can sell cars..hook him up jibberino! !
    I don't sell cars I own the land and the dealership pays me monthly rent to lease it..

Don't have that kind of pull to hook up Joe...

On a serious note - JW does have some personality and I think I remember him commentating one event in the past.. Maybe he can make a career behind the mic after he gets beat down tonight.. He'll figure it out, he has no choice..

Sanity Check

Joe Warren had wins over Norifumi Yamamoto, Patricio Freire, Georgi Karakhanyan, Joe Soto and Marcos Galvao early in his career.

Wonder what happened to him to be an underdog against Kakai.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Joe Warren had wins over Norifumi Yamamoto, Patricio Freire, Georgi Karakhanyan, Joe Soto and Marcos Galvao early in his career.

Wonder what happened to him to be an underdog against Kakai.
    He got old (39).. Blew his knee out and is just coming off that injury now.. His training has been limited leading up in other words.. He's also lost 2 of his last 3 fights..

Sanity Check

He got old (39).. Blew his knee out and is just coming off that injury now.. His training has been limited leading up in other words.. He's also lost 2 of his last 3 fights..
    I checked to see how long it takes to recover from a torn MCL.

The answer I got is 6 weeks.

Warren's been out for 6 months.

It does seem like he's been declining though huh.

Or he hasn't been improving while everyone around him has been getting better all the time.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

I checked to see how long it takes to recover from a torn MCL.

The answer I got is 6 weeks.

Warren's been out for 6 months.

It does seem like he's been declining though huh.

Or he hasn't been improving while everyone around him has been getting better all the time.
    You get very out MMA shape even taking 6 weeks off from training at the age of 39.. Then there is that mental thing about the knee being %100..

How much grappling has he really been able to do being down 6 weeks in 6 months. (4.5 months) I think JW is rushing it because he needs the money.. Should have took 9 months to a year off IMO... At age 39 you don't recover as quickly or get in shape as quickly like a 25 year old would..

Many small factors to consider.. I think the cards are stacked up against JW in this fight tonight.. I'd be a bit surprised if he pulls off the win..

He is the baddest man on the planet though so ya never know????

Hugo de Naranja
    Hugo de Naranja's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 621

Bellator 161 Play:
    Vera Arteaga (+375) 1u

Rich Benjamins

Anyone know a good live stream for the main? Jibby?

Thrilla
    Goater a Legend
    Thrilla's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 17711

- Heavyweight Tony Johnson isn't just fighting for himself tonight.

Rich Benjamins

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Anyone see that Campos fight? Dude is a gorilla.. He just comes forward and bangs and can wrestle with the best of them.. Could be UFC material.. He has a good gas tank as well....

He did almost go to sleep in that 1st round.. Good win and comeback..

Fun fight to watch..
    Points Awarded:

Thrilla gave JIBBBY 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Chael Sonnen signed with Bellator and can juice away now.. Lol...
    Points Awarded:

Thrilla gave JIBBBY 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Sanity Check

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo de Naranja View Post
    Bellator 161 Play:
    Vera Arteaga (+375) 1u
    Why do you think she will win?

Anyone see that Campos fight? Dude is a gorilla.. He just comes forward and bangs and can wrestle with the best of them.. Could be UFC material.. He has a good gas tank as well....

He did almost go to sleep in that 1st round.. Good win and comeback..

Fun fight to watch..
    Chan reminds me a lot of Overeem.

Sanity Check

Yankova and Arteaga are throwin down!

12 Last