slayer14
    slayer14's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6111

Robbie Lawler vs. Tyron Woodley set as UFC 201 main event

The welterweight title will be on the line in the UFC 201 main event as UFC confirmed Tuesday that Robbie Lawler will face teammate Tyron Woodley on July 30 at the Philips Arena in Atlanta.

Lawler and Woodley have been rumored for the card the past few weeks.

Lawler will look to defend his welterweight title for the third consecutive time after defeating Rory MacDonald and Carlos Condit.

Lawler, a veteran knockout artist, has won five fights in a row overall and eight out of his past nine as he's risen up the ranks and become the best welterweight in the sport.

Woodley will get his first crack at a UFC title when he faces Lawler in July.

The former Strikeforce welterweight contender has won two fights in a row, including a victory over former "Ultimate Fighter" winner Kelvin Gastelum. Woodley is 4-1 in his past five fights, with his only loss coming to MacDonald in 2014.

When Woodley faces Lawler in July it will have been 18 months since he last competed. He is vying for his first title in the UFC.

Lawler and Woodley are both members of American Top Team, but they don't train together as they work out of different affiliates for the same gym. Lawler is based out of Florida at the main American Top Team academy while Woodley owns his own offshoot facility in Missouri.

Expect more fights for UFC 201 to be announced in the coming weeks.

http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/u...n-event-051716

xagonzx
    xagonzx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 100

Mighty Mouse vs Wilson Reis co-main event

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11558

That will be a good fight!!! Tyron Woodley can wrestle and is very fast and athletic.. Robbie I think is gonna have to knock him out to win...

Most upsetting Demian Maia continues to get passed over..

Sato
    Sato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    That will be a good fight!!! Tyron Woodley can wrestle and is very fast and athletic.. Robbie I think is gonna have to knock him out to win...

Most upsetting Demian Maia continues to get passed over..
    Demian doesnt have that main event championship fighter feel to him. Dana doesnt like that.

UncleChael
    Tell 'em UncleChael sent ya
    UncleChael's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125

I like it, Robbie going to tear him a new a**hole.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Sato View Post
    Demian doesnt have that main event championship fighter feel to him. Dana doesnt like that.
    Well he should...Just because he doesn't stir the pot and have a big mouth doesn't mean he shouldn't get a shot after 5 straight wins against top level competition.... http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Demian-Maia-14637

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Woodley has been unable to pull the trigger in the past. Could be Lawler by beat down.

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    Woodley has been unable to pull the trigger in the past. Could be Lawler by beat down.
    Rory Mac made Woodley look like a child.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by Kermit View Post
    Rory Mac made Woodley look like a child.

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

woodley is going to be on his bike this fight

Ted Sheckler
    Ted Sheckler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

That's how I feel. I enjoy watching him work, but most casual fans probably didn't care for his fight last weekend.
    Imagine if that was a 5 rounder and people had to sit through 24 minutes of him trying to get a submission and only 15 punches thrown all fight.

DeathAdder
    DeathAdder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8209

Woodley going to gas or be on the receiving end of a huge haymaker. Watch the Lawler/Manhoef Strikeforce fight and picture Tyrone as Melvin. Nighty night Tryone P.E.D's not here to save you

firekillex
    firekillex's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by DeathAdder View Post
    Woodley going to gas or be on the receiving end of a huge haymaker. Watch the Lawler/Manhoef Strikeforce fight and picture Tyrone as Melvin. Nighty night Tryone P.E.D's not here to save you
    Yes watch a 6 year old fight where lawler was being dominated and landed a lucky overhand to win lmao...
    Tyron Woodley is a specimen just because you're ripped and big doesn't mean you use PEDS stupidest misconception of all fans , some people are born different get used to it .... Still see lawler winning but your points are extremely irrelevant

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22119

Either does Woodley. He better hope to win. Even a super close decision won't save him from basically being dropped out of contention for awhile.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Sheckler View Post
    That's how I feel. I enjoy watching him work, but most casual fans probably didn't care for his fight last weekend.
    Imagine if that was a 5 rounder and people had to sit through 24 minutes of him trying to get a submission and only 15 punches thrown all fight.
    GSP wasn't anymore exciting to watch then MAIA.. GSP just use to lay and pray and ground and pound from the full guard to decision wins.. Very boring to watch as he would never try to pass guard...

Atleast Maia works for subs and or better positions and actually tries to finish fights.. It's a damn shame the casual fans can't appreciate that..

I think you're right though as the UFC certainly promotes KO artists more then ground guys that are one dimensional as that sells more PPV's and grabs the common fans interest....

Ted Sheckler

GSP wasn't anymore exciting to watch then MAIA.. GSP just use to lay and pray and ground and pound from the full guard to decision wins.. Very boring to watch as he would never try to pass guard...

Atleast Maia works for subs and or better positions and actually tries to finish fights.. It's a damn shame the casual fans can't appreciate that..

I think you're right though as the UFC certainly promotes KO artists more then ground guys that are one dimensional as that sells more PPV's and grabs the common fans interest....

I'm not really sure why I liked watching GSP. I don't know if it was because he just seemed so dominant out there. (besides hendricks fight)

But I agree, Maia at least is doing something to get in position to end the fight, which is fun to watch. But a few years ago, I hated seeing Maia come up on a card. Was really looking forward to the Brown fight, but dude got abused and could never get a punch thrown before getting clinched.

But then again, one of my favorite fighters is Clay Guida and once again, I have no good reason why.

But I think Lawler and Mcgregor are some of the best things to happen. 2 guys that go out wanting to win inside the distance and not let it go to judges.

Ted Sheckler

Points Awarded:

firekillex gave Ted Sheckler 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

getlucky2win
    faded
    getlucky2win's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1796

All in on t wood. Lawlers lucky run is up

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

Lucky run, he did actually tko rory macdonald. I think he can absorbs some shots here from woodley early and then cruise to a decision or late tko. Woodley has 0 heart. So this is basically a mental midget against a king of mental warfare.

Sledge187
    Sledge187's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6001

Sex Machine.

Sato
    Sato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

GSP really? They covered new territory with him business wise. In addition to that he was ferocious (before UFC 100) and had great fights. He was more versatile than Maia which made the fights more interesting. Something happened before UFC 100 where he decided to completely play it safe and never had a finish ever since that event.

Seems to me Zuffa has better choices in terms of brazilian fighters that draw and attract more viewers. They probably safe up Demian for that one up and coming prodigy so they can say he obliterated a top guy in Demian.
    His chances arent that bad to get the belt if Robbie stays champion but I guess business wont allow him to get to Robbie that easy.

UncleChael
    Tell 'em UncleChael sent ya
    UncleChael's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125

Robbie's going to put Tyron's head in the rafters..

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1818

Inside the distance. But on which fighter?

lokihayze
    lokihayze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 124

I find Maia boring to watch, lots of die hard MMA fans find his fights the ideal time for a toilet breaks, popcorn refill etc.
    If I wanted to watch BJJ id just watch BJJ tournaments.
    Meh, maybe im just more of a fan of the Rory Mac, wonderboy, nick Diaz, Nate Diaz, Conor McGregor, robbie Lawler fighting style...
    Endless submission attempts by Maia are a general snooze fest.

lokihayze
    lokihayze's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 124

I think robbie has this one too, back to the topic 😂

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24854

And STILL.....