THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5218

UFC Fight Night: Hendricks vs. Thompson (February 06, 2016)

FOX Sports 1, 10 p.m. ET
    Johny Hendricks vs. Stephen Thompson
    Roy Nelson vs. Jared Rosholt
    Rafael Cavalcante vs. Ovince Saint Preux
    Joseph Benavidez vs. Zach Makovsky
    Misha Cirkunov vs. Alex Nicholson
    Mike Pyle vs. Sean Spencer

FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET
    Josh Burkman vs. K.J. Noons
    Damian Grabowski vs. Derrick Lewis
    Ray Borg vs. Justin Scoggins
    Noad Lahat vs. Diego Rivas

UFC Fight Pass, 7 p.m. ET
    Mickey Gall vs. Mike Jackson
    Artem Lobov vs. Alex White

Last edited by SBR Jonelyn; 05-20-16 at 11:57 AM. Reason: image does not exist
    Points Awarded:

JIBBBY gave THE_LOCKSMITH 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

BELM0NT gave THE_LOCKSMITH 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

I care about 2 fights, rest f sucks!

FreddieUFC
    FreddieUFC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 70

Quote Originally Posted by bjpenn85 View Post
    I care about 2 fights, rest f sucks!
    Agreed. Definitely see value on Thompson here but nothing much else standing out.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11839

I disagree and think it's a good card, I personally like alot of the fights..

Even the prelims are decent - KJ Noons vs Josh Burkman, Heavy weights Lewis vs Grab, and scoggins vs Borg are all worth watching IMO..

OSP/Cav fight should have fireworks, Hendricks/Thompson should be decent also.. Rosholt vs Nelson could very well be a boring lay and pray affair though for 3 rounds..
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 01-29-16 at 12:00 PM.

FreddieUFC

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    I disagree and think it's a good card, I personally like alot of the fights..

Even the prelims are decent - KJ Noons vs Josh Burkman, Heavy weights Lewis vs Grab, and scoggins vs Borg are all worth watching IMO..

OSP/Cav fight should have fireworks, Hendricks/Thompson should be decent also.. Rosholt vs Nelson could very well be a boring lay and pray affair though for 3 rounds..
    We talking watching or betting though, Jibs? Outside of Thompson I'm stuggling to muster up too much enthusiasm, tbh. You playing all the fights or picking and choosing?

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by FreddieUFC View Post
    We talking watching or betting though, Jibs? Outside of Thompson I'm stuggling to muster up too much enthusiasm, tbh. You playing all the fights or picking and choosing?
    Betting yes - I'm already on Stephen Thompson, Jared Rosholt, OSP, Joseph Ben, KJ Noons and Derrick Lewis.. Heavy favorites parlay'd up of course...

FreddieUFC

Betting yes - I'm already on Stephen Thompson, Jared Rosholt, OSP, Joseph Ben, KJ Noons and Derrick Lewis.. Heavy favorites parlay'd up of course...
    Fair play, avoiding the heavy favourites myself till I win back some of the money I lost on the last card. Good luck, bud.
    Points Awarded:

JIBBBY gave FreddieUFC 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5218

next.................

JC2008
    JC2008's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2519

- How the hell can anyone lay -225 on Hendricks is beyond me...

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Hey we only have to wait a week for this event!!!!.. Me likes dis!!

Can begin to figure out this entire event early this week..

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by FreddieUFC View Post
    Fair play, avoiding the heavy favourites myself till I win back some of the money I lost on the last card. Good luck, bud.
    Yep, I'll parlay up the heavy favorites and or hedge prop bet against them myself to protect bank roll...

TPowell
    TPowell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 331

Quote Originally Posted by JC2008 View Post
    - How the hell can anyone lay -225 on Hendricks is beyond me...
    The guy that hasn't lost a clear decision since the Story fight 6 years ago? I don't see how you can ever fade the guy.

TPowell

Starting to wonder why Nelson isn't the bigger favorite in this HW fight. Rosholt has fought a steady stream of nobodies while Nelson has fought Barnett, Overeem, Hunt, Nog, Cormier, and Miocic all in a row. Of course he's 1-6 in those fights but he did look good against Barnett last time out and he hasn't been taken down by anybody other than DC in those fights.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by TPowell View Post
    Starting to wonder why Nelson isn't the bigger favorite in this HW fight. Rosholt has fought a steady stream of nobodies while Nelson has fought Barnett, Overeem, Hunt, Nog, Cormier, and Miocic all in a row. Of course he's 1-6 in those fights but he did look good against Barnett last time out and he hasn't been taken down by anybody other than DC in those fights.
    Cause Jared Rosholt is an Olympic caliber wrassler and will put Nelson on his back and keep him there.. Nelson will gas out if he doens't get the early knock out and will most likely lose by decision laying on his back.. Nelson is in 40's now and is old. Jared the younger buck at 29... I think Jared at +143 is a gift right now...

Jared Rosholt also has won his last 3 fights and has gone 6-7 since joining the UFC.. He's been steadily improving.. Can't say the same for fatboy Roy.. http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Jared-Rosholt-76763

Last edited by JIBBBY; 01-31-16 at 12:23 PM.

TPowell

Cause Jared Rosholt is an Olympic caliber and will put Nelson on his back and keep him there.. Nelson will gas out if he doens't get the early knock out and will most likely lose by decision laying on his back.. Nelson is in 40's now and is old. Jared the younger buck at 29... I think Jared at +143 is a gift right now...
    Nelson is a pretty solid defensive wrestler in his own right. I can't see Rosholt getting and keeping Nelson down for much of this fight and his standup is still awful. I think this could be a very awful fight if Nelson doesn't rock him early. Rosholt's competition level has been awful so far. Timothy Johnson took a round off him and could have won that fight IMO

Suggartown
    Will work for 1/2 points
    Suggartown's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Glad we only have to wait a week. The fights last night got my mind and wallet pumped!

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Nelson is a pretty solid defensive wrestler in his own right. I can't see Rosholt getting and keeping Nelson down for much of this fight and his standup is still awful. I think this could be a very awful fight if Nelson doesn't rock him early. Rosholt's competition level has been awful so far. Timothy Johnson took a round off him and could have won that fight IMO
    Jared has very good doubles and singles, some of the best in the HW division in my opinion. Cain and DC too.. I don't think old Roy will stay standing on his feet for long, I.. Jared is heavy on top too.. Roy will gas quickly...

Roys best hope is that he has a ref that stands them up frequently.. Then maybe Fatboy can land the bomb on Jared's chin.. Nelson is always dangerous early on when fresh.. Jared walks into one of those haymakers it's certainly lights out.. You should wait for the Nelson KO prop if you like Nelson Tpow, it will be better then the straight win odds for sure .. Even the Nelson wins ITD is better at -130 right now...

Sat 2/6 1109 Nelson wins inside distance -130

I like the wrestler as the dog in this one against the old fat guy that hits hard..

TPowell

Jared has very good doubles and singles, some of the best in the HW division in my opinion. Cain and DC too.. I don't think old Roy will stay standing on his feet for long, I.. Jared is heavy on top too.. Roy will gas quickly...

Roys best hope is that he has a ref that stands them up frequently.. Then maybe Fatboy can land the bomb on Jared's chin.. Nelson is always dangerous early on when fresh.. Jared walks into one of those haymakers it's certainly lights out.. You should wait for the Nelson KO prop if you like Nelson Tpow, it will be better then the straight win odds for sure .. Even the Nelson wins ITD is better at -130 right now...

Sat 2/6 1109 Nelson wins inside distance -130

I like the wrestler as the dog in this one against the old fat guy that hits hard..

The way Nelson grappled against Barnett, I'm not worried about Rosholt to be honest. I can see Nelson winning a decision by just stuffing takedowns and the fight being a borefest. I'll obviously do more research though

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

I think who the ref will be in this fight could play a big part.. Do we have a ref that likes to stand up fighters quickly or do we have a ref that likes to let fighters work it out on the ground? Something to consider and think about anyways in this Nelson/Rosholt fight...

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

I think who the ref will be in this fight could play a big part.. Do we have a ref that likes to stand up fighters quickly or do we have a ref that likes to let fighters work it out on the ground? Something to consider and think about anyways in this Nelson/Rosholt fight...
    I feel like theres been a development when it comes to how ref interacts. Refs are more aggressive pushing standup, stopping fights when theres unanswered punches etc. Still, they have a lot of work to do, for instance giving fighters who cheat the benefit of not taking away points for all sorts of faults, BUT i do think we are seing some positive changes in MMA recently.

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

BTW

In case ppl don't recognize the names Mickey Gall or Michael Jackson, the winner of that fight will face CM Punk later this year.

Betting yes - I'm already on KJ Noons ...
    Last I heard KJ Noons is a full time fireman and training MMA only part time. That could be why he moved up to 170. Makes his weight cuts easier with his full time job. It might also be the reason he's gotten dominated in his last few fights--his heart is no longer in it. Think twice on that KJ Noons play.

TPowell

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity Check View Post
    BTW

In case ppl don't recognize the names Mickey Gall or Michael Jackson, the winner of that fight will face CM Punk later this year.

Last I heard KJ Noons is a full time fireman and training MMA only part time. That could be why he moved up to 170. Makes his weight cuts easier with his full time job. It might also be the reason he's gotten dominated in his last few fights--his heart is no longer in it. Think twice on that KJ Noons play.

Noons is much better off at 170 IMO. His skills are starting to slow down but Burkman is just a can at this point IMO. Noons should win this fight

Sanity Check
    A Rising Tide Lifts All Ships
    Sanity Check's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12959

Noons is much better off at 170 IMO. His skills are starting to slow down but Burkman is just a can at this point IMO. Noons should win this fight
    I'm glad you think so & hope others think as you do so they give me good odds when I drop funds on Burkman.

TPowell

I'm glad you think so & hope others think as you do so they give me good odds when I drop funds on Burkman.

BOL, he did look better against Cote than what I expected

TPowell

Anybody know anything about this guy fighting Misha at 205, Alex Nicholson? Apparently he's been fighting in some very regional type orgs against guys with 4-5 fights under their belt in the pros. He's fought his last 2 there as a heavyweight, but this looks like a clear mismatch to me. Misha is a solid fighter on the ground, but he has been caught a couple times by sub (his only losses). Both of those guys had double digit sub wins on their resume though IIRC. I would think Nicholson gets subbed in this fight, but I'd like to read more over the course of the week and check out the lines

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Thanks for the heads up on KJ.. I'll definitely look into this more and take that into serious consideration before placing.. Odds still aren't out yet but was planning on playing KJ..

KJ Noons should be more technical standing against the journeyman Josh Burkman whom also likes to stand and bang.. KJ had a stiff test in his last fight with Alex Oleivera, so I give that bad loss a pass... That dude Alex is an animal...http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/KJ-Noons-6727

Josh Burkman has been getting beat up lately himself..http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Josh-Burkman-10003
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 01-31-16 at 02:39 PM.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by bjpenn85 View Post
    I feel like theres been a development when it comes to how ref interacts. Refs are more aggressive pushing standup, stopping fights when theres unanswered punches etc. Still, they have a lot of work to do, for instance giving fighters who cheat the benefit of not taking away points for all sorts of faults, BUT i do think we are seing some positive changes in MMA recently.
    I'd like to see more point deductions for blatant eye pokes and obvious ball shots to catch a breather.. I think last event was the first time I've seen a point deduction for an eye poke.. It's a start...
    Points Awarded:

JoshKnows46 gave JIBBBY 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

KingHawkins
    KingHawkins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21284

I'd like to see more point deductions for blatant eye pokes and obvious ball shots to catch a breather.. I think last event was the first time I've seen a point deduction for an eye poke.. It's a start...
    Isn't the blatancy, obviousness, or intent, of the eye-poke and ball shots always going to be debatable though?
    I almost feel like the judges should make their own determinations on that as far as point deductions go. We have three judges because every single action inside the cage may potentially be viewed in a different way, by different sets of eyes attached to different brains with different opinions. I feel like the REFEREE has too much power with the FORCED point deduction on the JUDGES scorecards.

A fine examples from the Makashvili fight, where Joe Rogan seemed pretty appalled that the REF took that point and CHANGED THE OUTCOME of the fight with that decision. Based on the opinion of the announcers, I would be highly inclined to believe that had the THREE OFFICIAL JUDGES FOR THE FIGHT been tasked with making the decision of whether to take that point or not,,,,, well maybe they all three would have agreed and taken a point, or maybe all three would have said, we have two SEPARATE, different, ACCIDENTAL(?) fouls, NO DEDUCTION. But we will never know because the REF has too much power.

TPowell

The eye poking has to be cleaned up. The groin shots suck but they don't cause the issues that the eye pokes do IMO

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by KingHawkins View Post
    Isn't the blatancy, obviousness, or intent, of the eye-poke and ball shots always going to be debatable though?
    I almost feel like the judges should make their own determinations on that as far as point deductions go. We have three judges because every single action inside the cage may potentially be viewed in a different way, by different sets of eyes attached to different brains with different opinions. I feel like the REFEREE has too much power with the FORCED point deduction on the JUDGES scorecards.

A fine examples from the Makashvili fight, where Joe Rogan seemed pretty appalled that the REF took that point and CHANGED THE OUTCOME of the fight with that decision. Based on the opinion of the announcers, I would be highly inclined to believe that had the THREE OFFICIAL JUDGES FOR THE FIGHT been tasked with making the decision of whether to take that point or not,,,,, well maybe they all three would have agreed and taken a point, or maybe all three would have said, we have two SEPARATE, different, ACCIDENTAL(?) fouls, NO DEDUCTION. But we will never know because the REF has too much power.
    True that^^^ the refs do have the power and can certainly determine the outcome of fights with point deductions whether warranted or not.. Good point!!

Maybe the ref can key in to the judges during the fight and then leave it to the judges to decide for point deductions when fouls occur??? I don't trust the judges either though.. It's just a very tough thing to deal with in MMA right now..

TPowell

The problem is it's a lot easier to judge fights watching through television than sitting ringside IMO. I can't figure out why judges are still ringside. Fouls should be assessed between rounds for whether or not points will be deducted and it should be done through replay

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

the need to punish the fighters that keep the distance with an open hand....its part of the game but you cant have the shit happenig over and over....essentially ended belchers career... they need to see it and warn....close your hand.....then if there is an eye poke---POINT TAKEN.....they arent as random as they seem...

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

1000% agree----ringside decisions are tough to make sometimes...easier on HD camera w replays evt....sometimes shots look like they land when they dont ect...
    The problem is it's a lot easier to judge fights watching through television than sitting ringside IMO. I can't figure out why judges are still ringside. Fouls should be assessed between rounds for whether or not points will be deducted and it should be done through replay

TPowell

Watched a couple fights today. I watched the Mike Pyle/Colby Covington fight and Covington just kept Pyle on his back and not able to mount any offense for the first 2.5 rounds. Pyle finally reversed and got the mount and his back and had a sub locked in late but couldn't hang on to it. Covington just seemed too big and strong for Pyle physically which isn't surprising since Pyle is or nearly is 40 years old. I could see him threatening less powerful and talented guys on the ground with subs from his guard though. His striking didn't seem bad. Used a lot of knees to try and keep Covington from rushing in, but they were largely unsuccessful. He's fighting a boxer, Sean Spencer in this event

TPowell

LOL, watched the Spencer/Pendred infamous fight from the Siver/McGregor card in January. Spencer should have won all 3 rounds IMO. Spencer looks really good striking with his hands but let Pendred use some leg kicks later on that he shouldn't have. I think Pyle will be able to mix it up striking wise with Spencer if Pendred can land like he did. I also think Pyle's crafty enough to possibly catch a sub if the fight hits the ground. I lean towards Pyle slightly, but not sure I want my money on a 40 year old against a crisp boxer like Spencer who is in his prime at 27 or 28.

1234 ... Last