PunisherIND
    myles jewry
    PunisherIND's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9625

UFC 170: Rousey vs. McMann (February 22, 2014)

PRELIMINARY CARD
    UFC Fight Pass, 7 p.m. ET
    Zach Makovsky vs. Josh Sampo
    Erik Koch vs. Rafaello Oliveira

PunisherIND
    myles jewry
    PunisherIND's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9625

UFC 170 odds: Daniel Cormier calls betting line against Rashad Evans 'ridiculous'

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/1/11/52...ridiculous-mma

Beelzebubzy
    Beelzebubzy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5104

Played rory here. I feel like this is a tailor made matchup for him
    if his head is on straight this should be a jab fest

Educ8d Degener8
    Educ8d Degener8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9916

Looks like the graphic designer didn't get the memo about the Khabib-Melendez non fight...

mmaed
    mmaed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5003

I dont know if id call it tailer made because i have no idea if maia can take him down. I saw what he did to fitch, story, and dhk. Then he went up against shields and came up short. I missed that fight but i assume it was shields wrestling that saved the day. Ill bet shields is a much better grappler than rory but rory has a very good striking game. He also has the discipline to maintain a conservative gameplan like he did so well against ellenberger. I think that is more or less the perfect gameplan to beat maia.

On the other hand maias type of takedowns might work well against rory. Iirc in all the fights he was successful at taking down his opponent he really clung to them and worked for the takedown. Ellenberger really hung out on the outside and didnt really fight to get rory to the mat. Maia might be the biggest takedown threat rory has ever rory has ever really faced. Anyone have an opinion?

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Quote Originally Posted by mmaed View Post
    I dont know if id call it tailer made because i have no idea if maia can take him down. I saw what he did to fitch, story, and dhk. Then he went up against shields and came up short. I missed that fight but i assume it was shields wrestling that saved the day. Ill bet shields is a much better grappler than rory but rory has a very good striking game. He also has the discipline to maintain a conservative gameplan like he did so well against ellenberger. I think that is more or less the perfect gameplan to beat maia.

On the other hand maias type of takedowns might work well against rory. Iirc in all the fights he was successful at taking down his opponent he really clung to them and worked for the takedown. Ellenberger really hung out on the outside and didnt really fight to get rory to the mat. Maia might be the biggest takedown threat rory has ever rory has ever really faced. Anyone have an opinion?
    I agree with that whole-heartedly. Ellenberger probably has better takedowns than Maia, but he doesn't have the tenacity that Maia has, partly because Ellenberger is afraid to gas himself out these days.
    Points Awarded:

Sykes gave MD 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Beelzebubzy

He will have to score takedowns every round. Maia has gassed himself in the past even though he didn't against shields. Also k1 Maia may come back again. Moreover, rory has Weidmans blue print to follow.

2u -2whatever on backne

MD

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebubzy View Post
    He will have to score takedowns every round. Maia has gassed himself in the past even though he didn't against shields. Also k1 Maia may come back again. Moreover, rory has Weidmans blue print to follow.

2u -2whatever on backne
    Rory isn't even close to Weidman, though. There isn't a single area in which he's even comparable to him. Maia is also a lot better at 170, and his cardio has looked better in pretty much every fight, but the caveat to that is the fact that most of his fights have been grappling matches. It's a lot less exhausting for a world-class grappler to spend three rounds grappling with Jon Fitch than it is to spend a round and a half striking with Chris Weidman.

Ron_Paul_2012
    Ron_Paul_2012's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3985

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Rory isn't even close to Weidman, though. There isn't a single area in which he's even comparable to him. Maia is also a lot better at 170, and his cardio has looked better in pretty much every fight, but the caveat to that is the fact that most of his fights have been grappling matches. It's a lot less exhausting for a world-class grappler to spend three rounds grappling with Jon Fitch than it is to spend a round and a half striking with Chris Weidman.
    Tough fight to call right now. There are much better fights on the card to bet. Maia vs McDonald is a great fight to live bet.

Beelzebubzy

I agree with your points. But just to play devils advocate, Rory is not Fitch or Story. Fitch has been taken down by smaller fighters ( Penn) and Story who has been susceptible to trips (Kampmann). I do not know how much success Maia will have here, however, I believe Rory wins this more than 67% of the time. Like I said, Maia has no Ko power, and must constantly attack with takedowns here to win.

MD

I agree with your points. But just to play devils advocate, Rory is not Fitch or Story. Fitch has been taken down by smaller fighters ( Penn) and Story who has been susceptible to trips (Kampmann). I do not know how much success Maia will have here, however, I believe Rory wins this more than 67% of the time. Like I said, Maia has no Ko power, and must constantly attack with takedowns here to win.
    Disagree completely with that. He's not much of a striker, but he hits hard when he connects, in my opinion.

As for Story being susceptible to trips, couldn't you make the same argument about Rory? He got taken down by Pyle... twice, if I'm remembering correctly.

I'm not saying Rory's the wrong side, by the way. I'm not sure how I feel about the line yet, may be on him myself.

Beelzebubzy

Disagree completely with that. He's not much of a striker, but he hits hard when he connects, in my opinion.

As for Story being susceptible to trips, couldn't you make the same argument about Rory? He got taken down by Pyle... twice, if I'm remembering correctly.

I'm not saying Rory's the wrong side, by the way. I'm not sure how I feel about the line yet, may be on him myself.
    Regarding Maias power - not sure who he has rocked at this point especially at WW. Maybe he does. In my opinion, he does not.

Do not recall if Pyle took him down.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

He made munoz go all crazy legs for a moment early in their fight!

MD

Regarding Maias power - not sure who he has rocked at this point especially at WW. Maybe he does. In my opinion, he does not.

Do not recall if Pyle took him down.
    Pyle definitely took him down, I think it was twice.

EDIT: Checked Fightmetric, they listed it as two takedowns for Pyle, but they're unreliable, so take that with a grain of salt.

mmaed
    mmaed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5003

I think maia has a reasonable shot of getting knocked out by rory. Rory is the better striker and he possess some power. Though i do think a lot of this fight will play out with maia glued to rory as much as possible. I could see rory stuffing him or catching him coming in. Rorys best path to victory is playing an outside striking game probably with a lot of boxing.

Beelzebubzy

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    He made munoz go all crazy legs for a moment early in their fight!
    ok good point, not a top notch chin though

MD

Quote Originally Posted by mmaed View Post
    I think maia has a reasonable shot of getting knocked out by rory. Rory is the better striker and he possess some power. Though i do think a lot of this fight will play out with maia glued to rory as much as possible. I could see rory stuffing him or catching him coming in. Rorys best path to victory is playing an outside striking game probably with a lot of boxing.
    I think Maia has a reasonable shot of knocking Rory out, too. They really don't seem to train for southpaws at Tristar.

mirinquads
    Eat my enormous ballsack boys
    mirinquads's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7742

Munoz has a pretty bad chin, but lets be real, Maia isn't knocking Rory out, he's realized he's not a K-one striker, and is going to aggressively press the takedown, will likely get jabbed in the face for a while, but Maia is tenacious and will keep coming at him with the takedown, and Rory can crack under pressure as shown by Condit and Ruthless fights. Maia is used to deal with middleweights, so Rorys size should be less of an issue then for other fighters.
    Maia has some pretty tricky takedowns that are hard to see coming, its gonna come down to if Rory can stuff them, which I see him likely being able to do for a round at least, with Greg Jackson's gameplannin' and all that, but Maia should be able to get him down later in the fight.
    Will likely play Maia small, watching the line.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by mirinquads View Post
    Munoz has a pretty bad chin, but lets be real, Maia isn't knocking Rory out, he's realized he's not a K-one striker, and is going to aggressively press the takedown, will likely get jabbed in the face for a while, but Maia is tenacious and will keep coming at him with the takedown, and Rory can crack under pressure as shown by Condit and Ruthless fights. Maia is used to deal with middleweights, so Rorys size should be less of an issue then for other fighters.
    Maia has some pretty tricky takedowns that are hard to see coming, its gonna come down to if Rory can stuff them, which I see him likely being able to do for a round at least, with Greg Jackson's gameplannin' and all that, but Maia should be able to get him down later in the fight.
    Will likely play Maia small, watching the line.
    Does Rory train with Jackson's at all? He's a Zahabi guy, right?

Disagree that Maia can't knock Rory out, the left straight will be there for him all night unless Rory's improved significantly.

mirinquads

Im sure he can, I'm just also sure he will be looking for the takedown all night, especially against a jabber like Rory. Also Rory has shown quite a solid chin, getting sledghammered in the face but Robbie.
    Last edited by mirinquads; 01-13-14 at 05:30 AM.

ibetkellybro
    gabe criterion
    ibetkellybro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 167

mcmann will be my only play

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22119

Quote Originally Posted by mirinquads View Post
    Im sure he can, I'm just also sure he will be looking for the takedown all night, especially against a jabber like Rory. Also Rory has shown quite a solid chin, getting sledghammered in the face but Robbie.

Jackson will be in his corner though i'd think.
    Tristar and Jacksons merge?

ibetkellybro
    gabe criterion

Jackson is a condit guy, no way he is going to corner that fa_g rory

ibetkellybro
    gabe criterion

seriously looking for the inside the distance props. I have no doubt sara will stop ronda in this fight. ronda is not 5 7 she is 5 6 and sara is 5 5, ronda will be fighting with close to 12 lbs over sara

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Does Rory train with Jackson's at all? He's a Zahabi guy, right?

Disagree that Maia can't knock Rory out, the left straight will be there for him all night unless Rory's improved significantly.
    Never heard of Jackson working with Rory

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

ok good point, not a top notch chin though
    Indeed, Gaberz could probably rock Munoz

mirinquads

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Never heard of Jackson working with Rory
    Yeah, brainfart from my side. However Tristar is also great at gameplans, and Rory follows them to a tee, always has. One of the reasons he got so far imo, he's talented but lacks in some areas.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

I think I saw an interview after that fight though where he said he wanted to go back to how he used to fight and stop over-thinking things - I may be imagining that tho

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

"I just don't think I was interested," MacDonald admitted. "I felt like my Ellenberger fight, I think I fought a really good fight. I was technically on-point, I was sharp, and watching the fight I wasn't disappointed. But I didn't have fun at the end of the day, and that's what I do this for. I want to express myself when I'm up there, like an artist painting a picture. It's just basically self-expression for me, and I don't think I did that in these last two fights this year.
    "I didn't enjoy them. I didn't walk out of the cage knowing that I had fun. Usually, win or lose, in my fights in the past, I've always had fun. I've always enjoyed my time fighting. This year I didn't enjoy fighting."

Sato
    Sato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Hey I dont enjoy wiping my ass with a 1 layer toilet paper..what are you gonna do?

dankeykang
    dankeykang's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 47

Does anyone actually give a f0ck about women's mma? People liked Gina then she left and no one cared. The same will happen after Rousey leaves. Watching Women's mma is like watching the Wnba. Instead of dunks you get lay up's. You get crazy charge forward game plans because no one not even Cyborg has one punch knock out power. And the grappling exchanges are sloppy as hell. Nicolini would sub out the top ten in one night.
    Last edited by dankeykang; 01-13-14 at 12:49 PM.

Sato

WMMA is hyped up garbage product. Its a miracle that all of a sudden somewhat attractive women decide to cagefight and thats the sole reason people watch.

I dont give a fuqq about the fighting. Most of the scraps are laughable...Rondas armbar is able to beat everyone at this point which shows what kind of a joke that fuqqin' thing is.

They are able to show their skills to the world now which is good...but headining a card in Vegas? Jesus are you nuts?

Ask Vaughany...just last week he shot of some bets via mobile app while shittin'...he doesnt give a shit either...
    Last edited by Sato; 01-13-14 at 01:56 PM.

Beelzebubzy

Quote Originally Posted by Sato View Post
    WMMA is hyped up garbage product. Its a miracle that all of a sudden somewhat attractive women decide to cagefight and thats the sole reason people watch.

I dont give a fuqq about the fighting. Most of the scraps are laughable...Rondas armbar is able to beat everyone at this point which shows what kind of a joke that fuqqin' thing is.
    Like Royce twenty years ago

Sato

Like Royce twenty years ago
    Royce showed the world a completely new martial art that revolutionized combat sports and how people look at it.

Are you nuts?

Beelzebubzy

What? It wasn't new

Moreover, Royce beat Cans similarly as Ronda is. The reason being that the sport is young and talent pool isn't deep.

1234 ... Last