bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Rollins wins NL MVP

This is truly a sign that the east coast bias is still alive and well.

Matt Holliday should have won this award by miles, but Jimmy Rollins gets it.

Rollins, who spurred Phils into playoffs, wins MVP

NEW YORK -- Jimmy Rollins won the National League MVP award Tuesday, edging Matt Holliday in a close race after propelling the Philadelphia Phillies to their first playoff berth in 14 years with his speed and steady all-around play.

The Gold Glove shortstop received 16-of-32 first-place votes and finished with 353 points in balloting by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

"I had a real big smile on my face, to make it simple. I was excited but I wasn't quite sure what to feel," Rollins said on a conference call from California. "I never really thought about winning an MVP. If I won a Gold Glove, then that was the MVP for a shortstop."

Holliday, the left fielder who led Colorado's surprising charge to the World Series, got 11 first-place votes and 336 points. Milwaukee slugger Prince Fielder came in third, with five first-place votes and 284 points.

It was the closest election for NL MVP since Atlanta third baseman Terry Pendleton beat out Pittsburgh's Barry Bonds by 15 points in 1991.

"I don't know what they look at," Rollins said, "but being a shortstop, that's No. 1. Defense is first. Defense is always first."

Rollins batted .296 with 30 homers, 94 RBIs and 41 steals from the leadoff spot, helping Philadelphia rally from a big September deficit to win the NL East. He led the league in runs (139) and triples (20), becoming the second consecutive Phillies player to win the MVP following Ryan Howard last year.

"I was like, if he can win it I can win it. The only thing he can do better than me is hit home runs further than me," Rollins said.

Rollins, left off the All-Star team in July, also proved a prophet after saying in spring training that Philadelphia was the team to beat in a competitive division.

"If I say something it's because I believe in it," he explained.

Rollins, who turns 29 next week, was a leader all year for the injury-ravaged Phillies, practically carrying them at times. Howard, Chase Utley and several key pitchers were sidelined for significant stretches.

"If Chase doesn't go down then we're probably not having this conversation," Rollins said.

Holliday, the NL Championship Series MVP, hit .340 with 137 RBIs -- becoming the third player since 1967 to lead a league in both categories. He also had 36 homers and topped the NL in hits (216), total bases (386) and doubles (50).

"It's Jimmy Rollins' day, and I don't want to step on his day," Holliday said in a statement through the Rockies.

Voting took place before the postseason, when Holliday and the Rockies completed a three-game sweep of Philadelphia in the first round.

Holliday's performance in the wild-card tiebreaker against San Diego did count, however. He hit a tying triple off career saves leader Trevor Hoffman in the bottom of the 13th inning and scored the winning run on a shallow sacrifice fly with a headfirst dive at the plate. Still, it wasn't enough to catch Rollins.

"You look at Matt Holliday's numbers -- I looked at them myself and I'm just amazed. It's sick what he's done," Rollins said.

Fielder was also impressive. In his second full season in the majors, the 23-year-old first baseman led the league with 50 homers -- becoming the youngest player to reach the plateau.

He ranked second in slugging percentage (.618) and batted .288 with 119 homers, but his MVP candidacy probably was hurt when the Brewers blew their NL Central lead and missed the playoffs.

"I can't imagine hitting 50 if I was 43 and had every advantage in the world," said Rollins, a switch-hitter generously listed at 5-foot-8, 174 pounds.

His pint-sized stature is one reason he's not worried about his new fame becoming a burden.

"Fortunately for me, I'm still only 5-7 so I can still hide behind a few people," Rollins said.

Born in Oakland, Calif., Rollins grew up idolizing and studying another outstanding leadoff hitter, Rickey Henderson. The Phillies star said that's where he got a lot of his "flair."

Rollins was particularly proud that he, Fielder and AL Cy Young Award winner C.C. Sabathia, also from the Bay Area, have set an example that might encourage more black kids to play baseball.

"I hope they one day say, 'I want to be Cy Young or I want to be MVP,'" Rollins said. "I know how black kids feel about baseball. I really do. They don't think it's street-credible.

"It would be a sad day if one day we are -- quote, unquote -- extinct from this game," he said.

New York Mets third baseman David Wright finished fourth in the balloting and Howard came in fifth. Braves slugger Chipper Jones, the 1999 winner, was sixth and Padres ace Jake Peavy, who won the Cy Young Award unanimously last week, finished seventh.

It was the seventh time a Phillies player took the honor. In addition to Rollins and Howard, Mike Schmidt won three times (1980, '81, '86), pitcher Jim Konstanty won in 1950 and outfielder Chuck Klein in 1932.

Rollins and Howard became the 11th pair of teammates to win the NL MVP in consecutive seasons, the first since Jeff Kent (2000) and Bonds (2001) with the San Francisco Giants. The previous NL shortstop to win the prize was Cincinnati's Barry Larkin in 1995.

New York Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez won the AL MVP on Monday, his third.

Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Nearly 2/3 of his production was done at home, so I can see why people would have a beef with Rollins winning the award.

cartay
    cartay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

Playing devil's advocate, Holliday gets penalized for his home production.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

(Fielder) ranked second in slugging percentage (.618) and batted .288 with 119 homers...
    Hey, if anyone got screwed it's the fat kid in Milwaukee who hit 119 home runs, ok?!

Seriously, I think the voting reflected the close race and the definition of the 'V' in the award's name, value. The problem with Rollins winning it really lies with the notion that Rollins gets it playing a more demanding position defensively. I don't really mind that, and Rollins plays shortstop well. But if it's the same 32 voters from the NL Rookie of the Year vote, then by the same token that award should have been given to Colorado's Troy Tulowitzki over Milwaukee's Ryan Braun. At least some here will apply that argument for Tulowitzki over Braun.

Either way, I'm not going to let 32 sportswriters ruin the Wellers bourbon I'm currently drinking and winning streak -- at the window and in my fantasy leagues -- ruin what is essentially 'Thursday Night' in the work week. I'll wait for the hangover and the bellyflop on the wager front do that.

tacomax
    SBR Problem Poster 2007-08
    tacomax's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1167

WTF has happened here? Not a single vote for Bonds? Have MLB got problems with their Scantron machine above everything else?