Illusion
    Illusion's Avatar Become A Pro!

Tracy out as Dodgers' manager

LOS ANGELES -- Jim Tracy's tenure as manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers is over, one day after he finished his first losing season in five years with the team.

The Dodgers announced Monday that Tracy and the team "mutually agreed to part ways." Last year, Tracy guided the team to its first division championship since 1995, but the Dodgers finished 71-91 this season. It was the franchise's second-worst season since moving from Brooklyn in 1958.

"Jim Tracy has been a passionate and valued member of the Dodger organization," general manager Paul DePodesta said in a statement. "I have an extremely high regard for him professionally and personally. However, we felt strongly it was time for a change."

The 49-year-old Tracy signed a two-year contract in November that included a clause allowing him to opt out of the second year during a seven-day period that began Monday.

He made it clear to DePodesta that he wanted to return, and asked for an extension last month. His current deal would have run through the 2006 season. Owner Frank McCourt said any decision on Tracy's future would be left to DePodesta.

"It has been a privilege to work with the Dodger organization," Tracy said in a statement. "My seven seasons in Los Angeles have been a part of my life that I will never forget and for that I am truly grateful. I wish the [owner Frank] McCourts [family], the team, and the fans and the whole Dodger organization nothing but the very best."

Tracy had a 427-383 record in five seasons. The Dodgers began this season 12-2, but then losses and injuries started to add up.

Last year's NL West championship was the Dodgers' first in nine years, and they earned their first postseason victory since winning the 1988 World Series. Los Angeles was eliminated by NL champion St. Louis 3-1 in their Division Series.

Tracy's tenure tied him for the fourth-longest among current NL managers, behind Atlanta's Bobby Cox, St. Louis' Tony La Russa, and San Diego's Bruce Bochy -- whose teams all made this season's playoffs.

The Dodgers were Tracy's first big league managing job. Before being hired in 2000, he spent seven years managing in the minors for the Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati and Montreal. He also played two seasons in the majors with the Cubs.

scottric
    scottric's Avatar Become A Pro!

I could write forever about this being a Dodger fan all my life (longer than being a Red Sox fan, actually). People are starting to really turn on Depodesta out here. Never mind our idiot owner and his wife "Hillary" McCourt. Tracy was one of the best managers the Dodgers have ever had (next to Alston and Lasorda of course) and this season was not his fault. They had SO many injuries and made SO many bad signings it was staggering. Last time I checked, Tracy had nothing to do with the Dreifort deal or signing Jose Valentin.

Depodesta was hired because everyone thought he would be the Son of Moneyball. He has yet to prove anything except that he has really pissed off Dodger fans for the last two seasons.

For the first time in years I do not think I went to a Dodger game this season. Some family members also have season tickets in great seats and I think they reduced their commitment this year. Going to Dodger games are easy and affordable but if you ask a lot of people out here, that isn't even worth it to go see a Triple A team play. And for that, it is not Tracy's fault. It is a real shame to see him go.

Can't wait to see the winner that they pick to replace him...I hear Wally Backman is still available. :P