pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Quote Originally Posted by slayer14 View Post
    pavy you are a honest man do you believe the illuminati exists
    I have no idea what are you talking about. Illuminati? Wtf is this? Are you drinking this afternoon?
    Points Awarded:

Thrilla gave pavyracer 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

mynameismud
    mynameismud's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8427

thellama
    thellama's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3073

If he was pitching today he would have been cruising on a boat the night before at 3 am. Change of pitching date had nothing to do with the accident.
    What? Are you serious? I would assume a starting pitcher on the night before his 1pm start is not on a boat until 3am and is in bed instead. Especially an Ace. Since his start was pushed until Monday to give him extra rest I would assume he would spend the night doing as he pleases, in this case boating. Don't change the date, and he's not out there. I don't think many would disagree with that. I'm sure there are a million little things that carved the path for him to end up on that boat...just like we're all on an irreversible course to our eventual demise. I just think a big one was getting that day off. I'll repeat. I wish he would have started today. Maybe he would have gone out and done the same thing Monday night, maybe not.
    Last edited by thellama; 09-25-16 at 06:48 PM.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Quote Originally Posted by thellama View Post
    What? Are you serious? I would assume a starting pitcher on the night before his 1pm start is not on a boat until 3am and is in bed instead. Especially an Ace. Since his start was pushed until Monday to give him extra rest I would assume he would spend the night doing as he pleases, in this case boating. Don't change the date, and he's not out there. I don't think many would disagree with that. I'm sure there are a million little things that carved the path for him to end up on that boat...just like we're all on an irreversible course to our eventual demise. I just think a big one was getting that day off. I'll repeat. I wish he would have started today. Maybe he would have gone out and done the same thing Monday night, maybe not.

I agree with you. He would have not been out on the boat if he was pitching today.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Read the post again. If he was pitching today he would have been boating the night before (Friday night instead of Saturday night). Would have made no difference. The rocks are at the same spot for thousands of years.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1920

His last game played was left on a win: http://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore/_/id/360920128

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3495

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4Lyfe View Post
    That was horrible. Very similar event with a world of what ifs... Teammates on a boat having fun on their day off. When they go to pick up a couple other guys on land they don't see the flimsy dock hanging out of the lake. They said it was a grisly site. There were rumors that Crews was decapitated. One of the Indians coaches was on the boat at the time but he got out to go get more tackle. He played rock paper scissors with one of the other guys to see who would go get the gear. He lost... But saved his life. Olin's family almost never made it to the lake as they couldn't find the place and was going to turn around and go home.

Mike Hargrove gave the guys the day off and always regrets doing that. He felt that if he didn't, they would be all alive. he never let another Indians team get a day off in spring.
    Yeah I was quite young at the time,I thought the boat exploded but maybe I was wrong. I didn't know about the coach lucking out,eerily similar to how Waylon Jennings narrowly missed getting on that doomed flight with Buddy Holly and Richie Valens.

Interesting background info mate,cheers for that.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11977

Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    His last game played was left on a win: http://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore/_/id/360920128
    I live in DC and saw the matchup for that evening: Roark v. Fernandez. I knew I had to watch it live.

They both lived up to the pitchers' duel billing. Especially Fernandez, he was his typical self - a little bit cocky, vibrant, and most of all dominant. He's also worth keeping an eye on when he comes out of the game with his team up. He's like a little kid reacting to every pitch, jumping out of his seat when he dislikes a call or when a bang bang play happens.

A shame the crowd was so sparse that night. No one would've ever thought that'd be the last time he'd pitch. I'm happy I was able to witness his brilliance at least one more time before we lost him.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: pboozer57

MickeyMan
    MickeyMan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14295

Dont ever take anything pavy says seriously he is obviously mentally challenged.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Nobody belongs out in the water at 3 AM in a boat. No matter retired etc. it was a big mistake he made that costed him his life

All reports say they were speeding

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    When Darryl Kile (St. Louis Pitcher) died... was the St. Louis game cancelled that day? Anyone remember?
    It was, it was against the Cubs at Wrigley, and they double-headered it later in the year. I remember that day well.

Enough with the illuminati stuff everybody, fukks sakes. We just close our eyes and reach for the top shelf these days, don't we? I'm sure at their meeting last week they said "We need to get this Cuban pitcher in Florida. He's bad news. He knows things."

RIP Jose. Thanks for the time you did give us.

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

Is Fernandez the best pro athlete to ever die in the prime of their career? He has to be right?

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

They found the boat at 3 am

doesnt mean the crash didn't happen hrs earlier right?

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Quote Originally Posted by Plaza23 View Post
    Is Fernandez the best pro athlete to ever die in the prime of their career? He has to be right?
    Roberto Clemente

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._their_careers

rip Hartog Hamburger who got hit with a line drive in 1927

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Or hall of famer Ed delahantey who was swept over niagra falls

Mac4Lyfe
    Mac4Lyfe's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11150

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    The Marlins should have taken life insurance policy on him to hedge paying the contract if he died
    I don't think the Marlins have to pay the contract on his death BUT his life insurance would be paid out to his beneficiaries. Who knows how much life insurance he had though??? Most likely around the same amount of his contract. Hopefully.

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Roberto Clemente
    Clemente was 38, that's past prime.

3565's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 44

sad, rip

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Plaza23 View Post
    Lou Gherig - the greatest first baseman period.
    Ernie Davis - One of the best college RB's to ever live. Helped Syracuse win a national title and was the first African American to win the Heisman. Ended up in Cleveland with Jim Brown but never played a down as he died from Leukemia.
    Steve Prefontaine was only 24 when he died. He was the Usain Bolt at middle distances in the sport
    Roberto Clemente - Clemente racked up 15 All-Star appearances, 12 Gold Gloves, and two World series championships in his 17-season career. Just over a year after being named MVP of the 1971 World Series, Clemente was killed in a plane crash while on his way to help earthquake victims in Nicaragua.
    Thurman Munson - died in Ohio during flying lessons which he was taking in an effort to be able to visit home more often.
    Salvadore Sanchez - dude was the baddest featherweight in boxing history. He defended his title 10 times in 2 years and had 32 knockouts. Died at 23.
    Pelle Lindbergh -Flyers goalie
    Len Bias - was compared to Michael Jordan. Drafted 2nd by the Celtics only to die 48 hours later in his dorm room from a cocaine overdose. His death started the war on drugs, where we started incarcerating masses of people.
    Tim Richmond - Nascar driver that won 13 events in 8 years was up there with Earnhardt died of aids
    Hank Gathers - one of only 2 college players to lead the country in rebounds and points. Died on the court of a heart condition.
    Drazen Petrovic - one of the guys that opened up the NBA to Euro players. Car crash, hit by a truck.
    Reggie Lewis - 3 years after Gathers, Lewis died of the same heart condition. He was becoming a break out star averaging 20+ points per game. What a horrible run for the celtics.
    Darryl Kile - Heart condition like Lewis and Gathers.
    Pat Tillman - gave up a $3.6 million football contract to fight in Afghanistan. Killed by friendly fire.
    Nick Adenhart - was the best HS pitcher before he had tommy John surgery. Made a great comeback but was killed by a drunk driver.
    Sean Taylor at 24 was one of the most feared defensive players in the NFL. Died from blood loss by being shot in the leg by robbers
    Malik Sealy who was coming into his own as a basketball player and actor died after he left Kevin Garnett's birthday party by a drunk driver.
    Last edited by Mac4Lyfe; 09-25-16 at 09:24 PM.

Mac4Lyfe

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    Clemente was 38, that's past prime.
    Big Papi says hello...

Plaza23

I'd say Sean Taylor and Reggie Lewis are the only comparables as far as an All Star Level player dying in his prime. And Jose Fernandez was a lot better player than those 2 were. Fernandez was a top 5 pitcher in the major leagues.

I mean, given the trajectory of where Jose Fernandez career was likely going - this is like Roger Clemens or Pedro Martinez dying in their 20s.

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14709

They always go in threes.
    Manziel & Lochte next?

darrell74
    darrell74's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19456

Ernie Davis - One of the best college RB's to ever live. Helped Syracuse win a national title and was the first African American to win the Heisman. Ended up in Cleveland with Jim Brown but never played a down as he died from Leukemia.
    Steve Prefontaine was only 24 when he died. He was the Usain Bolt at middle distances in the sport
    Roberto Clemente - Clemente racked up 15 All-Star appearances, 12 Gold Gloves, and two World series championships in his 17-season career. Just over a year after being named MVP of the 1971 World Series, Clemente was killed in a plane crash while on his way to help earthquake victims in Nicaragua.
    Thurman Munson - died in Ohio during flying lessons which he was taking in an effort to be able to visit home more often.
    Salvadore Sanchez - dude was the baddest featherweight in boxing history. He defended his title 10 times in 2 years and had 32 knockouts. Died at 23.
    Len Bias - was compared to Michael Jordan. Drafted 2nd by the Celtics only to die 48 hours later in his dorm room from a cocaine overdose. His death started the war on drugs, where we started incarcerating masses of people.
    Tim Richmond - Nascar driver that won 13 events in 8 years was up there with Earnhardt died of aids
    Hank Gathers - one of only 2 college players to lead the country in rebounds and points. Died on the court of a heart condition.
    Drazen Petrovic - one of the guys that opened up the NBA to Euro players. Car crash, hit by a truck.
    Reggie Lewis - 3 years after Gathers, Lewis died of the same heart condition. He was becoming a break out star averaging 20+ points per game. What a horrible run for the celtics.
    Pat Tillman - gave up a $3.6 million football contract to fight in Afghanistan. Killed by friendly fire.
    Nick Adenhart - was the best HS pitcher before he had tommy John surgery. Made a great comeback but was killed by a drunk driver.
    Sean Taylor at 24 was one of the most feared defensive players in the NFL. Died from blood loss by being shot in the leg by robbers
    Malik Sealy who was coming into his own as a basketball player and actor died after he left Kevin Garnett's birthday party by a drunk driver.
    Well put, where did you read this?

Part Timer
    Part Timer's Avatar Become A Pro!

what a tragic

thellama

Jose made 2.6 million this year, half a million each of the previous 3 years. He never hit free agency, never got paid... that's a bummer for his family. Even if he had life insurance, pales in comparison to the 200+ million contract he would have easily commanded in 2019 when he hit the market.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

Being his same age, there is just no words. He had the whole world. He was a good kid. Not a jerk off. Just terrible and I have felt sick about it all day.

thellama

This was pretty cool, Jose just smiled and walked away. That clown Johnson from 3rd base ran in and got behind the umpire even though he could have gotten in Jose's face. What a puss.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3495

Tim Richmond has been treated like a pariah by Nascar because of how he died. By the way you forgot Davey Allison.
    Last edited by packerd_00; 09-26-16 at 01:12 AM.

Plaza23

Quote Originally Posted by mynameismud View Post
    Their boat had to have been going really fast to end up like that on those rocks. It doesn't even look like a speed boat. It doesn't seem like there's anything that could have saved them if you hit the rocks going that fast. Articles mentioning no life jackets but that wouldn't have mattered.

thellama

Alan Kulwicki & Davey Allison died in plane/helicopter accidents. Alan had just won the championship and Davey was just getting into his prime. Tough to exclude Dale Earnhardt tho, although past his prime, he was an icon. You might not have heard of Davey and probably not Alan, but everyone knew Earnhardt. Racing tho is inherently dangerous, and sort of not right for that list you compiled.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11862

Yeah, I did the speed boating thing, gets old fast, hard and expensive to up keep up over time.. Fun but dangerous and for some reason it's almost a given you can drink, ride and not get a DUI especially on the open seas so it gives you the green light to guzzle.... Lakes you can get popped and ticketed for speed and DUI's though....

Got money and a fast boat and are lit with buddies you show off and then bad things can happen especially late at night when visibility is bad... Hitting rocks like this at high speeds seems very irresponsible to me....Leads me to believe some one on the throttle was lit...

At 24 you do feel invincible but in reality you are not and should take caution when operating any machine that can motor hard.. Sad incident for sure.. I remember this dude.. He won me a few bucks in the past...
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 09-26-16 at 02:59 AM.

SBRMAN23
    Be humble sit down
    SBRMAN23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1448

Rip Jose this really messed me up seeing this today damn man wow

fieryking
    fieryking's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 550

Jose made 2.6 million this year, half a million each of the previous 3 years. He never hit free agency, never got paid... that's a bummer for his family. Even if he had life insurance, pales in comparison to the 200+ million contract he would have easily commanded in 2019 when he hit the market.
    You think his family gives AF about the money? Holy crap some ppl just don't get it. RIP

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by nyplayer33 View Post
    Why the fk is he out at that time with a game next day..probably drinking and speeding. Goodbye the 30 to 60 million u could of gotten cause u were wreckkess. Stay home watch tv.
    What the hell, man. Always so negative. Three people just died. It's difficult to see a jetty at night. No drugs, or alcohol were involved it looks like.

Jose loved the game, life, and his family. His story is amazing. Now he will have a daughter who never gets to meet her father. He was beloved by his teammates, coaches, opponents, fans, family, and friends. Plus, an absolute superstar, but that's the least of it in the grand scheme. Shit sucks, and you're thinking of the millions he could have had. You've always been a bitter old man, with hate in your heart.

Rest in Peace Jose. Praying for your family, and friends. Especially your girlfriend, and soon to be daughter. At least someday, she will see how talented, and beloved her father was. I'd trade my damn life to have such a great person back.

RIP to him, and Arnold.

First 123456 Last