JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)
    JMobile's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26848

The San Diego Padres are ______ (fill in the blank)

The last time the Padres went to the playoffs was in 2006 led by Bruce Bochy when he was Padres manager. In 2007, Buddy Black was hired to change things around. In 2010, Buddy led the Padres as contenders and all they had to do was beat the San Francisco Giants but they lost the series and falling down back to second place, with no chance as Wild Card contenders as well. That year, the San Francisco Giants went on to win the World Series.

So what have the Padres done for the last 9 years in San Diego? Nothing! All they have accomplish was inviting fans from the visiting team to witness a few embarrassing beatings, complimentary from sunny San Diego.

The Padres have never had a pitcher with a no-hitter and a batter hit for the cycle. We had a few batters close to a cycle, Tony Gwynn being one of them (RIP). The last Padres pitcher to pitch a no-hitter was Chris Young.

Lets also include that ever since Bruce Bochy left, he has dominated the position as a MLB Manager. He led the Giants to 3 World Series, and won them, and also manage FIVE pitchers pitching a no-hitter (3 against the Padres). Why can't the Padres play like the Giants???

This year, I do appreciate the new owners of the Padres going out picking up a new line up (Matt Kemp doesn't count). Yup, Matt Kemp is trade bait now if anyone is willing to pick up a guy who failed his first physical and still swings the bat like he just got dumped by Rihanna. I thought the Padres had a chance this year, but both pitching and batting completely sucks. I'm ashamed to root for the Padres. I'm glad Bud Black got canned, but I'm upset that we can't hire a manager who can turn this team around. 2015 season is over. Nothing more to watch. Fade them all year and win some money.

So fill in the blank. The San Diego Padres are hamburgers.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

the Madres.

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Quote Originally Posted by King Mayan View Post
    the Madres.
    The Giants own the Dodgers this year, home or away.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15072

The Padres are hopeless

Didn't do enough. LAD and SF are beasts, and the D-Backs got a lot better. Rough division.

SD had too many of their prospects fizzle out over the years or become mediocre players. They had to go spend a lot of money, and it didn't work like they thought.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

They have a decent bullpen.

They can't hit worth a damn except for Matt Kemp.

They have average starting pitching.

They just fired their skipper .... little early to give up on the season though IMO

YouHave2outs
    YouHave2outs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 198

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post

They can't hit worth a damn except for Matt Kemp.
    lol Kemp is hitting like .250 with an OPS of .648. He has 19 extra base hits, including just 4 jacks, in 286 plate appearances (268 ab as he has only walked 18 times)

Kemp has been trash this year.

yydouble
    Golf Expert
    yydouble's Avatar Become A Pro!

"Still swings the bat like he just got dumped by Rhianna."

(That was a great line)

I like how it insults the guy but at the same time insinuates that to a certain degree his poor performance in the past is somewhat excusable as any man would be a little rattled right after getting dumped by her!

She is so hot.

J Mobile you crack me up. I'm from S.D. too. It's possibly the worst professional sports town in the history of man. Look on the bright side, we can ride a bike up and down the boardwalk tomorrow in perfect 80* weather and see over 8,000 chicks like the one in your Avatar.

Mase of Base
    Mase of Base's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 804

Quite like the Padres, have a few family connections to SD so they're like a second team to me I guess being in the other league of the team I support.

Tried to build on the pitching staff that was really solid last season but it's backfired and now they're going to be battling the Rox for last place in the division for another 5+ years while more young guys come through.

J Up and Norris are standouts and if not trade bait are a line up to build around given their age, Kemp is playing about as I expected (not well) minus HRs (4 ha!) and even I didn't think he'd have an OBP so low. Kimbrels going to be lights out for a few more years. Starting pitchers is going to be the problem, Ross is prob going to be a solid enough guy around 3-4 ERA, Shields will regress very soon, Cashner looks a one year wonder, Despaigne is a four/five spot at best and I'm being kind there. Maybe Morrow can come back okay I liked him at the Jays before he got injured and the AL East was stacked then, he has throwing against some nasty line ups and he started okay. There's nothing to get to the playoffs in that bunch though and Kennedy is laughing all the way to the bank the last few years and for the near future what a joke that guy is.

yydouble
    Golf Expert

Mase, lay off the Mexican coke bro.

Mase of Base
    Mase of Base's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 804

Quote Originally Posted by yydouble View Post
    Mase, lay off the Mexican coke bro.
    Wish I had some unfortunately I'm just on the New Zealand beers, hook us up double!

yydouble
    Golf Expert

Lol...PM BrickJames.

unluckysob
    unluckysob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12702

3---7 last 10

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 451

not a playoff team

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

"Still swings the bat like he just got dumped by Rhianna."

(That was a great line)

I like how it insults the guy but at the same time insinuates that to a certain degree his poor performance in the past is somewhat excusable as any man would be a little rattled right after getting dumped by her!

She is so hot.

J Mobile you crack me up. I'm from S.D. too. It's possibly the worst professional sports town in the history of man. Look on the bright side, we can ride a bike up and down the boardwalk tomorrow in perfect 80* weather and see over 8,000 chicks like the one in your Avatar.
    True. This is one of the smallest reasons to enjoy San Diego.
    Last edited by JMobile; 06-20-15 at 10:51 PM.
    Points Awarded:

lakerboy gave JMobile 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Buckandadime
    Act as if
    Buckandadime's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1117

Without purpose... Give me my paycheck type of team,with the exception of a few.. Much like the Phillies

JMobile
    CM Punk -1000.5 (100X)

Quote Originally Posted by Buckandadime View Post
    Without purpose... Give me my paycheck type of team,with the exception of a few.. Much like the Phillies
    James Shields
    Justin Upton
    Will Venable
    Yonder Alonso
    maybe....Craig Kimbrel, are guys who wanna win and play. Everybody else on the roster, just want that paycheck to pay alimony and what ever other billing necessities they have. Bunch of fake athletes.

yydouble
    Golf Expert

Quote Originally Posted by JMobile View Post
    True. These is one of the smallest reasons to enjoy San Diego.
    Amen bro, Man you are smoking good stuff.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

They're kind of what I thought they'd be. Injury prone positional players that play bad defense.

pitchers are a lot worse than I thought. Ball carrying out of their home field more than usual. Wonder if el niño has something to do with it? (Not kidding)

Buckandadime
    Act as if
    Buckandadime's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1117

Does the McDonalds family still own the team? I haven't paid attention in yrs..

yydouble
    Golf Expert

Yeah there's free cheeseburgers at every game but its hard to eat with El Niño around.

terrortwylight
    Get Action
    terrortwylight's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 756

The San Diego Padres are still finding their way, but you can't deny their quickly looming upside.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

They should have moved Myers to 1b and kept Maybin at center. I didn't understand the Kimbrel trade. Their pen was fine. They need a catcher and a shortstop. Norris is a good hitter but sucks as a catcher. Now they've fleeced their minor league system. They're in a tough spot.

yydouble
    Golf Expert

I have never heard "quickly looming" used together like that. I don't think it's possible.

yydouble
    Golf Expert

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    They should have moved Myers to 1b and kept Maybin at center. I didn't understand the Kimbrel trade. Their pen was fine. They need a catcher and a shortstop. Norris is a good hitter but sucks as a catcher. Now they've fleeced their minor league system. They're in a tough spot.
    Tough spot for sure, El Niño is quickly looming over this thread I'm afraid.

leetreaper
    leetreaper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2140

_Winning tonight.

terrortwylight
    Get Action
    terrortwylight's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 756

I have never heard "quickly looming" used together like that. I don't think it's possible.
    my sincerest apologies

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

The same teams keep underachieving even when they upgrade their players I guess their jinxed franchises

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

what happened to craig kimbrel? the guy was the best closer in atl, now he's just mediocre.

SteveKerrsJunk
    SteveKerrsJunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 134

Frustrating.

yydouble
    Golf Expert

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKerrsJunk View Post
    Frustrating.
    Yes because If you expect someone to read what you write the least you can do is take the time to punctuate correctly.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    They have a decent bullpen.
    They have a shit bullpen.
    Bullpen ERA of over 4 is not getting done, the bullpen has accounted for11 losses.
    The bullpen has given up 23 bombs.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    what happened to craig kimbrel? the guy was the best closer in atl, now he's just mediocre.
    Because dominating closers only have a shelf life of 4 to 5 years.
    Almost all of them, oh sure there are exceptions, but after usually 4 years I would say pretty much 85 percent of big time closers flame out.

What Mariano Rivera did for almost 20 years is mind blowing.

For just about 2 decades, let's see, Mo set up Wetteland in 1996 when in NY shocked Atlanta, took over the closers role in 1997 and through 2013, the next 17 seasons (he was hurt one year) pretty much saved every game he entered into a save situation (89.1 save pct.)
    And he did it with pretty much one pitch, a cut fastball, every batter that entered the box knew what was coming, it was as if Mo would say to the hitter "I'm going to throw my cut fastball, and then i'm going to throw it again, and again......" almost two decades later the batters still could not touch it.

If that man does not walk into Cooperstown with every first place vote on each writers ballot, then something stinks in Mudville, for Mo was the greatest ever at what he did.

stevenash

Now that I am done blowing Mariano's rooster, the problem with the Padres is they are way to right handed.
    They are so top heavy on offense from the right side it's ridiculous.
    It's not like new mamagement didn't know either, they had ample oppurtunities to adress that issue, but did not for reasons unknow.
    (check my thread) last night was the easiest of easy money when Shields faced De La Rosa.
    De La Rosa is murder on right handed batting (.219) Lethal.
    All SD has from the left side that is dependable is Will Venable and Alonso, sorry, you are not beating a righty dominant pitcher with just those two and 6 others that could not hit an AA RHP.

SD will be free money this season from here on out when facing a dominant RHP, they can't hit them.

Here's the problem (I think) new ownership was more concerned with making a big splash with big names more than orchestrating a roster that could platoon. Look at what the Twins are doing, they have 16 no-names, but they all have a platoon role, some start only against LHP, some start v. RHP, so where the Twins are relatively well balanced each and every game, SD is not.

One last point, some of the trades SD was forced to take another team's garbage, baggage if you will.
    Case in point, the BJ Upton thrown in from Tampa.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

San Diego sort of reminds me of the Cubs

Two teams I think should be doing better based on players they have

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Buckandadime View Post
    you hit the nail on the head.

Mariners are the same way.

Teams have to create a winning culture that the players buy into like the St Louis Cardinals have done.

123 Last