jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Will these new rules speed up baseball games

Kim Klement / USA TODAY Sports
    MLB announces pace-of-play rules effective this season
    Brandon WileFeb 20 2015, 7:53 AM
    Major League Baseball officially announced Friday several additions to its pace-of-play program in an attempt to speed up the game.

Batters

All batters must keep at least one foot in the batter's box unless one of the following exceptions occur:

The batter swings at a pitch
    The batter is forced out of the batter's box by a pitch
    A member of either team is granted timeout
    A defensive player attempts a play on a runner
    The batter feints a bunt
    A wild pitch or passed ball occurs
    The pitcher leaves the dirt area of the mound after receiving the ball
    The catcher leaves the catcher's box to give defensive signals
    If the batter intentionally leaves the batter's box and delays play, the umpire shall award a strike without the pitcher having to deliver a strike.

Countdown clock between innings

Timers will be added to measure non-game action and break time between innings and pitching changes. Following the third out of each half-inning, the timer will count down from 2:25 for locally televised games and 2:45 for nationally televised games.

Pitchers will be permitted to throw as many warm-up pitches as they wish prior to the point when 30 seconds remains on the clock; however, pitchers will be deemed to have forfeited any of their traditional eight warm-up pitches that they are unable to complete prior to the 30-second deadline.

Batters will be encouraged to get into the batter's box with 20 seconds remaining on the timer. Batters who do not enter the box prior to five seconds remaining on the timer and pitchers who do not begin the motion to deliver the pitch prior to the clock running out will be deemed to have violated the timing rules.

Instant Replay

Managers can invoke instant replay from the dugout and will no longer be required to come onto the field. Managers will be required, however, to leave the dugout to challenge a play that ends the inning.

Whether a runner left the base early on a tag-up will be reviewable.
    A manager will retain his challenge after every call that is overturned.
    Postseason, regular-season tiebreaker games and the All-Star Game will allow managers two challenges per game.
    All violations of the rules will result in a fine. No fines will be issued in spring training or in April of the regular season to give players a chance to adjust.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Lets hope so JJ.

The Red Sox as an organization are always the biggest offenders of this.

From Nomar Garciaparra to David Ortiz these fukkers every year purposely try to drag out AB's as long as possible. Do they really need to adjust their batting gloves , grab their nuts, spit, hit both cleats with the bat and all kinds of other weird shit after taking a pitch?????

The reason the Red Sox do this is b/c they don't want the pitcher to be able to get into any type of rhythm whatsoever.

This is actually going to help the pitchers. And if your looking for a betting angle to apply this to......

This may cause more unders to hit.

If you ask any pitcher ... most pitchers want to get into a rhythm and work fast.

Thats why you see hitters bunt occasionally when a pitcher is really on bc they are trying anything to break up the pitchers rhythm and get him off the mound and make him work harder.

theglen123
    theglen123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 43

Fingers crossed. Its a game thats suppose to take time but its gone far beyond that

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

yeah if i am betting on a sunday afternoon i dont want to sit inside watching the game ALL AFTERNOON when its a nice day outside...

i dont want to wait 4 hours to see some shit bullpen cost me money in the 9th inning.

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

They can't hurt, so let's try.

jjgold

If games were quicker like NBA I would watch more

Its hurt the game a lot

Art Vandeleigh
    Art Vandeleigh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Probably will see some weird things this season

- Hurry up pitching
    - Pitchers torturing batters who just stand there taking pitches by going through long time consuming routines between pitches
    - Batters swinging at poor pitches or faking ridiculous bunting poses so they won't have to stand there and look like mannequins

TheLock
    TheLock's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7931

Prime time college football games are 4 hours long but short attention span American pawns don't give a }#*%.

They still watch.

I like the new rules.

Let's Go Rangers
    A moderate voice in the polarized forum
    Let's Go Rangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

I hope not

Nothing better than 3 hours at ballpark enjoying the warm sun, a few dogs and a couple cold sodas

jjgold

The youth left the baseball game years ago as far as tv

Its watched by older people because baseball geared towards them now

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    The youth left the baseball game years ago as far as tv

Its watched by older people because baseball geared towards them now
    geared toward old people?

wtf JJ.

how so?

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

the real question is will this effect prop wagers

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz launched a vivid and occasionally hilarious rant against baseball's new pace of play rules, especially the one that stipulates a batter keep one foot in the box at all times [with some exceptions].

"Is that new?'' Ortiz asked about the foot-in-box rule.

"It seems like every rule goes in the pitcher's favor. After a pitch, you got to stay in the box? One foot? I call that bulls---.

"When you come out of the box, they don't understand you're thinking about what the [pitcher] is trying to do. This is not like, you go to the plate with an empty mind. No, no, no. When you see a guy, after a pitch, coming out of the box, he's not just doing it. Our minds are speeding up.

"I saw one pitch, I come out, I'm thinking, 'What is this guy going to try to do to me next?' I'm not walking around just because there are cameras all over the place and I want my buddies back home to see me and this and that. It doesn't go that way.

"When you force a hitter to do that, 70 percent you're out, because you don't have time to think. And the only time you have to think about things is that time. So, I don't know how this baseball game is going to end up.''

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Funny that Ortiz says he thinks a lot when he is up to bat....

Former Astros Killer B " Derek Bell" says he thinks about fishing when he is up to bat.

Apr. 3, 1996 12:33 AM ET
    HOUSTON (AP) _ First, Derek Bell cleared his mind. Then he gave the Houston Astros a victory.
    Bell singled home the winning run with his third hit of the game, giving the Astros a 5-4 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers on Tuesday night.
    ``In a situation like that, I try to clear my mind by thinking about fishing or video games,'' Bell said. ``You don't want to think about what's on the line.''

jjgold

Bear if games are under 2 hrs I might watch some if not will never watch

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Only way to speed up game is to provide areas in the ballpark where fans can take naps. Like between 2nd and 7th inning nothing happens so you can take a nap to kill dead time.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Kung Fu Panda is going to fit right in

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32174

I don't think I watched one game all last year. Not even playoffs or world series. I may have caught the 9th inning of 3 or 4 games all season.

Other than that I only watched baseball on SportsCenter.

KiDBaZkiT
    September 2021 POTM
    KiDBaZkiT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1291

Replay is not efficient enough. Umpires with varying strike zones those two are whats really slowing it down. 7th inning stretch, cut that shit out as well. Also pitching changes are murderously long sometimes. They should leave hitters alone IMO.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

The efficacy of these rules will be fully dependent on how strictly they're enforced.

krk1030
    krk1030's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4884

Even if it cuts games down by 10 minutes its great. 10 minutes of literally nothing happening.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

a 30 second pitch clock would be good.

jjgold

baseball knows they are losing fans because of the pace of the games

They are hoping it works