Natty68
    Natty68's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2481

Stupid noob baseball question

You're laying 1 1/2 at home. You're losing say ...5-4 goin into the bottom of the ninth. Guy hits a homer with two guys on. How do they score that? Do they count all three runs? Or do they just score the two necessary for the win? Would you cover on that runline? Thanx to whoever takes a sec to answer this stupid question.

CookiMonster
    CookiMonster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 32

If the guy hits a homer all three runs are counted therefore you cover the spread

chalk46
    chalk46's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1023

Don't worry about it. It never happens that way lol

TankHankerous
    Frrrrrrunkis!
    TankHankerous's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 576

If the home team runs out on the field and mobs the guy that hit the home run before he crosses home plate you win nothing, you lose, good day sir!

CookiMonster

Quote Originally Posted by TankHankerous View Post
    If the home team runs out on the field and mobs the guy that hit the home run before he crosses home plate you win nothing, you lose, good day sir!
    wtf are you talking about? if you're the home team and batting at the bottom of the 9th and you hit a homer all players are in play to score so he covers the -1.5 spread moron

TankHankerous
    Frrrrrrunkis!

You are wrong. If the player doesnt touch home base he doesnt score the run. Its in the rules of baseball

CookiMonster

You are wrong. If the player doesnt touch home base he doesnt score the run. Its in the rules of baseball
    wow...your stupid aren't you?. in this situation you have two guys on already plus your batter who hit the homer. those two initial players that were on have to touch home plate and they STILL have to count the run for the guy who hit the home run cause he WILL touch home plate. Why don't you look up the Oriole @ Yankee game when they were down 3-2. Beltran hits a 3 run home run at the bottom of the 9th!
    Last edited by CookiMonster; 08-13-14 at 03:37 PM.
    Points Awarded:

TankHankerous gave CookiMonster 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TankHankerous

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

this

millflavor
    millflavor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5255

Quote Originally Posted by CookiMonster View Post
    wow...your stupid aren't you?. in this situation you have two guys on already plus your batter who hit the homer. those two initial players that were on have to touch home plate and they STILL have to count the run for the guy who hit the home run cause he WILL touch home plate. Why don't you look up the Oriole @ Yankee game when they were down 3-2. Beltran hits a 3 run home run at the bottom of the 9th!
    i guess you never heard of the grand slam single

TankHankerous
    Frrrrrrunkis!

From Wikipedia:

The
    Grand Slam Single is a reference to the hit that ended Game 5 of the 1999 National League Championship Series between the New York Mets and one of their rivals,Atlanta Braves. The game was played on October 17, 1999 at Shea Stadium.

The play[edit]

The game was tied 2–2, going into the top of the 15th inning, until Mets pitcher Octavio Dotel gave up an RBI triple to Keith Lockhart, giving the Braves a 3–2 lead. In the bottom of the 15th inning, the Mets loaded the bases against Braves relief pitcher Kevin McGlinchy. Mets catcher Todd Pratt drew a bases loaded walk, tying the score 3–3.
    The next batter was Mets third baseman Robin Ventura. Ventura crushed the 2–1 pitch over the wall in right-center for an ostensible grand slam, winning the game for the Mets and driving the Mets players and fans into a frenzied celebration. Ventura, however, never reached second base as Todd Pratt, the runner who was on first, picked up Ventura in celebration. Subsequently, Ventura was mobbed by his teammates, never finishing his trot around the bases. Because he failed to touch all four bases, the hit was officially scored a single. Roger Cedeño, the runner on third at the time, was ruled the only runner to have crossed home plate before the on-field celebration began and the Mets were awarded a 4-3 victory. Thus, Ventura was only credited with a single and one RBI.

Defining the "single"[edit]

Sports books in Las Vegas were put into an unusual situation with the "single" as a final score of 7–3 (the score that would have been had Ventura completed his trip around the bases) meant the game would have gone "over" the over/under line, which was 7½ . However, the final score actually put the game "under", meaning that many bettors that should have received payouts did not.[1]
    The play remains as one of the most memorable moments in Mets postseason history. Orel Hershiser, who played on the 1999 Mets remarked, "It will be right up there with Kirk Gibson's home run (Hershiser was a teammate of Gibson with the Los Angeles Dodgers during their championship season of 1988), Carlton Fisk, Bucky Dent. This one will be on that tape with them."[2] However, the Mets went on to lose the series to the Braves.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

wtf are you talking about? if you're the home team and batting at the bottom of the 9th and you hit a homer all players are in play to score so he covers the -1.5 spread moron
    You didn't interpret what the guys said correctly, but don't worry, it would never happen in a regular seasons game.

TankHankerous
    Frrrrrrunkis!

Hey Cooki me and you have the same join date you dumb fuk

LT Profits

A home run is the ONLY way the "extra" runs would be allowed to score. For example, if it was a tied game with runners on second and third (or bases loaded) and a guy hits a ground rule double, it would become a ground rule single with only one run counting.

CookiMonster

Hey Cooki me and you have the same join date you dumb fuk
    I dont see how that has anything to do with the topic but what ever. Anyway arguing about shit like this just gives me a headache, posting plays and betting them is all i do around here so have a good day.

LT Profits

I dont see how that has anything to do with the topic but what ever. Anyway arguing about shit like this just gives me a headache, posting plays and betting them is all i do around here so have a good day.
    Did you get the point though? The extra runs only count if the batter actually circles the bases. The Ventura incident was not the only time the batter failed to do so, but it is obviously an extremely rare occurrence.