No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

At what point are MLB teams going to realize that long-term contracts

For position players are suicide?

I was thinking about this tonight as I watched Prince Fielder go a 15th straight postseason game without an RBI. I was also thinking about this earlier in the season as I watched guys who had recently signed big, long-term, guaranteed deals like Pujols, Hamilton and Mauer slowly just disappear. Why do franchises keep falling for these traps? It's one thing to lock up an ace lefty, but a first baseman or an outfielder getting a decade guaranteed at $20-25 million per? Wake up. I won't go as far to say these guys are a dime a dozen, but they definitely aren't worth the kind of coin they're collecting on a yearly basis either.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

All big market fans have one.

For me it's Ryan Howard. Love the guy but we are stuck with him forever now and he's cooked.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    All big market fans have one.

For me it's Ryan Howard. Love the guy but we are stuck with him forever now and he's cooked.
    Can you imagine what Prince, Pujols, Hamilton and Mauer are going to look like five years down the road, when they're completely broken down, no one wants them, yet they're still making $25 million on up guaranteed? Hell, even Miguel Cabrera -- who I consider to be one of the best hitters I've ever seen -- is on the verge of parking in a handicap spot when he comes to the ballpark.

Without PEDs to recover from injuries, it's only going to get worse. Yet these dumbass owners keep doling out the monster contracts like candy.

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Are there any long-term baseball contracts that are team-friendly?

I can't think of any.

Jered Weaver gave the Angels a bit of a deal, and he is still pretty productive, but there aren't many.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Can you imagine what Prince, Pujols, Hamilton and Mauer are going to look like five years down the road, when they're completely broken down, no one wants them, yet they're still making $25 million on up guaranteed? Hell, even Miguel Cabrera -- who I consider to be one of the best hitters I've ever seen -- is on the verge of parking in a handicap spot when he comes to the ballpark.

Without PEDs to recover from injuries, it's only going to get worse. Yet these dumbass owners keep doling out the monster contracts like candy.
    All sports are a young man's game. That is becoming increasingly evident by the year in baseball. Young talent wins. For every Beltran, Waino, and Molina there is a young up and comer who isn't afraid to hit with risp or a young arm who can blow major league hitters away late in the game. The Cardinals got it right and there is no end in sight with more top prospects on the horizon.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Are there any long-term baseball contracts that are team-friendly?

I can't think of any.

Jered Weaver gave the Angels a bit of a deal, and he is still pretty productive, but there aren't many.
    Starting pitchers are a roll of the dice, but if you have a Wainwright, or a Kershaw, or a Verlander, it makes sense to lock them up. Aren't many true "aces" out there.

Cardinals schooled all of MLB when they let Pujols go. They've Allen Craiged and then Matt Adamsed first base and been fine. You can always find a productive corner infielder or outfielder if you play your cards right.

Hell, to be honest as far as position players go, I'd say Yadier Molina probably deserves as much as anyone. Again, the Cardinals let Pujols go and it allows them to lock up Yadi. This franchise doesn't succeed year in and year out by accident. As a Tiger fan, I'm jealous of them. Pretty much every other ballclub should be, too.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    All sports are a young man's game. That is becoming increasingly evident by the year in baseball. Young talent wins. For every Beltran, Waino, and Molina there is a young up and comer who isn't afraid to hit with risp or a young arm who can blow major league hitters away late in the game. The Cardinals got it right and there is no end in sight with more top prospects on the horizon.
    Agree -- again, especially if PEDs are being taken out of the equation.

It's kind of like what the Marlins did when they went on their mini-run of World Series titles -- scout well, build your team around young, hungry players who haven't signed big contracts yet, flank them with savvy veterans who still have a little gas in the tank and a chip on their shoulder, win a title, then blow it all up and start over again with dynamite prospects and overlooked veterans. A tried and true formula that's really not all that complicated, yet no one chooses to employ it.

The Giant

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Starting pitchers are a roll of the dice, but if you have a Wainwright, or a Kershaw, or a Verlander, it makes sense to lock them up. Aren't many true "aces" out there.

Cardinals schooled all of MLB when they let Pujols go. They've Allen Craiged and then Matt Adamsed first base and been fine. You can always find a productive corner infielder or outfielder if you play your cards right.

Hell, to be honest as far as position players go, I'd say Yadier Molina probably deserves as much as anyone. Again, the Cardinals let Pujols go and it allows them to lock up Yadi. This franchise doesn't succeed year in and year out by accident. As a Tiger fan, I'm jealous of them. Pretty much every other ballclub should be, too.
    You're right, the Cardinals seem to do it better than anyone.

I'm not sure if this has been posted or not, but here's a fun little nugget: While the Angels gave broken-down Albert Pujols $254 million that they'll regret for the next 10 years, they also had to give the Cardinals compensation for him. That compensation ended up being a draft pick that turned out to be Michael Wacha.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

I'm not sure if this has been posted or not, but here's a fun little nugget: While the Angels gave broken-down Albert Pujols $254 million that they'll regret for the next 10 years, they also had to give the Cardinals compensation for him. That compensation ended up being a draft pick that turned out to be Michael Wacha.

Unreal, yet not surprising.

It should be truly inspiring to see what the Cardinals have done with their farm system when it comes to pitching. Just incredible.

ROFLcopter
    ROFLcopter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1284

They are starting to recognize it now. Some teams will aim to do what the Red Sox did - sign a bunch of mid-tiered guys with good potential to shorter deals, even if you have to slightly overpay.

The Giant

It'll be interesting to see how many years Robinson Cano gets.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

It'll be interesting to see how many years Robinson Cano gets.
    Cano's a little different, because he's a power-hitting second baseman. There aren't many of those out there.

With that being said, he's no spring chicken. I wouldn't recommend falling for that trap, and I like Cano.

I'm sure some big-market franchise will be dumb enough to break the bank on him.

The Giant

I wouldn't give him more than five years.

I don't trust any of these guys, especially guys over 30.

Someone will bite though. They always do.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

I wouldn't give him more than five years.

I don't trust any of these guys, especially guys over 30.

Someone will bite though. They always do.
    Well first of all, it's hard to say how old a guy truly is these days.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Ped have changed everything thing. These deals would be ok if the norm was balco Barry putting up career years after 35.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

How about Cano coming up??

He is going to b a bust to

PITCHING
    PITCHING

That is all it is

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Willie mays is one of the all time greats and at 35 he couldn't catch fly balls in center field, yet owners will pay 5+ premium years for today's stars well into their forties. Dumb and stupid

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

you gotta lock up the young studs to 6 year deals before they hit arbitration years

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25123

I wouldn't go longer than 6 years on any of them. Anything more is ridiculous. However, there's always that stupid owner or two that will make some moron move.

I can understand overpaying a little to keep your talent (especially if been with same team a while and is hit with fans) but to go out and pay some if these guys what they do is absurb.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

they should make you GM of the Tigers Coiner

Itsamazing777
    Not interested....
    Itsamazing777's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1696

I wouldn't give ANY player more than a 5 year deal.
    If he's still worth it then resign him

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Yeah I agree Coin and it's even worse signing these guys on the wrong side of 30. The Halos are not paying Pujols and Hamilton for what they will get. They are paying them for what they achieved wearing other teams uniforms while in their prime. Bad business far as winning goes but for the short sighted it sells merch and tickets!

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

The smart ones have already figured it out.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    The smart ones have already figured it out.
    you could say the A's are smart..

but the A's are sitting at home right now eating popcorn
    watching the games on TV.

Tigers fans should be grateful they have an owner who
    cares.

Imagine if you were a Marlins fan.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Big bear it's not the same teams like Oakland simply CANNOT make these types of gambles. Due to baseball not willing to get a cap most teams cannot spend freely like the big markets. That said a truly smart team though that has the funds should try harder for a happy medium between "smart" Oakland type building and not taking the gambles on long term deals for aging stars headed for the down slide.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    you could say the A's are smart..

but the A's are sitting at home right now eating popcorn
    watching the games on TV.

Tigers fans should be grateful they have an owner who
    cares.

Imagine if you were a Marlins fan.
    exactly bruh

If no coin was a GM his ballpark would be empty

People pay money to see the big names even if they have an off year

Dombrowski puts out the big money but it comes right back in

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
    I wouldn't go longer than 6 years on any of them. Anything more is ridiculous. However, there's always that stupid owner or two that will make some moron move.

I can understand overpaying a little to keep your talent (especially if been with same team a while and is hit with fans) but to go out and pay some if these guys what they do is absurb.
    Just goes to show how much $$$ these owners truly have, and how little it means to them.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    exactly bruh

If no coin was a GM his ballpark would be empty

People pay money to see the big names even if they have an off year

Dombrowski puts out the big money but it comes right back in
    You are the prototypical dumb fan. Doesn't surprise me, given you've proven in spades you can't even think for yourself around here.

ksnooksk
    ksnooksk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 34

Kinda like the Yankees when they signed Mark Texeira they gave the Angels a compensation pick which turned out to be Mike Trout.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7683

It all goes back to collusion. Owners are fukked.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

It's taken a lifetime for it to show, but the Pirates have been applying this knowledge. They're actually in the minority of teams who "get it" now. The Cardinals are the standard, but Pittsburgh is following suit.

Sign young talent early, take marginal risks with high upside, and don't ever over commit.

Long term contracts for proven commodities in MLB is suicide.

shookid
    shookid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1958

it should all be based on productivity, just like in the real world. wait that doesnt happen in real world so forget about sports. nice job by the 2 losers on det, miggy and fielder, not getting the job done in huge at bats last night. yeah thats why they deserve $20 mil plus. fuckin stiffs cant even put the ball in play.

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

At the time Twins almost had to sign Mauer to a long term deal. They had just won the division the year before and their was alot of hype about the team and I remember ESPN actually giving them alot of coverage. They simply could not let Mauer walk at the time considering the type of numbers he was putting up. He still had a solid number last year guy hits for average, just doesn't have the power anymore. Can't really blame the Twins for giving Mauer such a big contract.

On the other hand the Pujols and Hamilton contracts are a different story. Especially the Hamilton contract. Everyone remembers how he finished the season with Texas that year and you almost knew Texas wasn't gonna resign him unless they got him at a good price. Not to mention his past and drug problems.

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

Quote Originally Posted by shookid View Post
    it should all be based on productivity, just like in the real world. wait that doesnt happen in real world so forget about sports. nice job by the 2 losers on det, miggy and fielder, not getting the job done in huge at bats last night. yeah thats why they deserve $20 mil plus. fuckin stiffs cant even put the ball in play.
    Fielder has actually done a great job since leaving Milwaukee. He has still put up solid numbers going from a hitters park to Detroit, which is more pitcher friendly. At this point he definitely has been worth the money as he is one of the main reasons Miggy won that Triple Crown Last year and teams just couldn't pitch around him.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    At the time Twins almost had to sign Mauer to a long term deal. They had just won the division the year before and their was alot of hype about the team and I remember ESPN actually giving them alot of coverage. They simply could not let Mauer walk at the time considering the type of numbers he was putting up. He still had a solid number last year guy hits for average, just doesn't have the power anymore. Can't really blame the Twins for giving Mauer such a big contract.

On the other hand the Pujols and Hamilton contracts are a different story. Especially the Hamilton contract. Everyone remembers how he finished the season with Texas that year and you almost knew Texas wasn't gonna resign him unless they got him at a good price. Not to mention his past and drug problems.
    The Pujols situation was very comparable to Mauer. And yet, StL had a price and # of years in mind, he wanted more, and they let him walk.

That's why StL has won non-stop since Pujols' departure, while the Twins have lost 90 in a row for three straight seasons since Mauer's "necessary" deal. Do you think that Cardinal fans are looking back now and still angry that they didn't re-sign him? Because they were mad as hell at the time. Meanwhile, I know plenty of Twins fans who are saying "WTF were we thinking" as they try to piece a rotation together with bums like Pelphrey and Worley because all of their money is tied up in a catcher who barely plays anymore.

12 Last