Jeff Grant
    Jeff Grant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2924

Chris Sale's Velocity Issue

He's lucky that Darvish was terrible Friday night:

Chris Sale admittedly didn't have his best stuff during Friday's 9-5 victory over the Rangers before 47,638 at the Ballpark in Arlington, as evidenced by his fastball topping out at 92 mph on just two occasions over 6 1/3 innings.

As for that velocity issue, Sale and the White Sox (54-45) responded with the same overall lack of worry as they did when questioned about the topic after the left-hander worked eight innings in a victory over the Royals on July 15.

"These guys can hit anything," said Sale of the potent Rangers offense. "Like I said before, it's not about how hard it's coming in. It's where it's at. I don't know how to answer that to be honest with you."

"We talked about it a little bit but it's him becoming more of a pitcher rather than just using velocity," said White Sox manager Robin Ventura of his ace left-hander, whose ERA stands at 2.61 after 18 starts and 19 games. "Every once in a while he can still do it. But I don't think it's anything arm related."

That health diagnosis from Ventura was quickly supported by his 23-year-old starter.

"Everything is fine," Sale said. "It's getting late in the year and that might be a little bit of it. But that's not something I'm paying attention to. I honestly couldn't care less how hard I'm throwing."

matt1216
    matt1216's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1052

Lol i was all over the whitesox...... I watched the jays in texas, Jays lost but they hit darvish for 6 runs i believe. Darvish way over rated. I thought CWS coulda been around +105+110 myself.

Smutbucket
    Smutbucket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13748

hmmm Im inclined to believe that hes right, location is more important than velocity.....anyone know of any indept anaylsis of velocity vs location or have a strong opinion backed by evidence?

matt1216

Quote Originally Posted by Smutbucket View Post
    hmmm Im inclined to believe that hes right, location is more important than velocity.....anyone know of any indept anaylsis of velocity vs location or have a strong opinion backed by evidence?
    ya location is huge, i remembe pedro martinez throwin,that guy had speed and location in the day. Catcher didnt even move the glove once he was set

Jeff Grant

Quote Originally Posted by matt1216 View Post
    ya location is huge, i remembe pedro martinez throwin,that guy had speed and location in the day. Catcher didnt even move the glove once he was set
    The next thing to go is location when a pitcher is in the midst of throwing a career-high in innings

matt1216

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Grant View Post
    The next thing to go is location when a pitcher is in the midst of throwing a career-high in innings
    yes i do agree, this is why it should be interesting watching Sale, and Lynn going forward

zoo youk
    zoo youk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1197

great info jeff. you continue to provide solid information post.

this is Sales first full year as a starter correct? the innings could be certainly taking a toll on his arm. maybe they should shut him down for a start or two.

JMon
    I'd be a lot cooler if you did.
    JMon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10742

damn Darvish screwed me last night..ugghh

Jeff Grant

Quote Originally Posted by JMon View Post
    damn Darvish screwed me last night..ugghh
    Saw that you stepped out a bit on the Rangers - they took 1% of my bankroll as well

Smutbucket
    Smutbucket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13748

look at Lynns game log....jeeeez......numbers in beginning of year were amaziiing then were dropping off, then after all start break was amazing until last game against cubs.....definetly will be intresting to see how he finishes out season, I wont bet on em, but I will watch em

rumnblack
    rumnblack's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Grant View Post
    Heath Bell?