brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Batting Average On Balls in Play

I know a lot of you guys here seem to have a lot of faith in this stat, but if the stat was as reliable/valid as you guys claim it is, wouldn't that mean that all contact by hitters is equivalent as well? Doesn't that mean that if you take 10 guys with the same strikeout numbers, they should all have similar average numbers right?

The reason I bring up this thread is because my favorite childhood player, Sammy Sosa, used to routinely have a .450 BABIP. That alone makes it hard for me to take the stat 100% seriously

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

all these stats mean shit ... wins and losses mean shit for pitchers as well

brahmabull117
    brahmabull117's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Quote Originally Posted by You mad bro View Post
    all these stats mean shit ... wins and losses mean shit for pitchers as well

wins and losses mean nothing if you're evaluating a pitcher for a CY young but for betting purposes, they tell you the run support/defense/bullpen support he's getting (very important obviously)

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Use BABIP to stabilize a batters BA. Its used to see who is getting lucky, and who is unlucky.

All of the advanced stats are meant to be predictive of future performances.

WiiSports
    WiiSports's Avatar Become A Pro!

BRAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHMA, what's the play today?

SparJMU
    SparJMU's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7523

read Bill James' book