iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

2012 National League West Preview: The Circus is in Town...

You just never know what to expect with this division... Maybe it's the 3 pitchers parks and 2 hitter heavens they play in? Maybe it's all those late West Coast starting times? One thing is for sure, this year should be entertaining to say the least, which "act" is gonna come out on top??

The Bearded Lady

I thought the Rockies had a chance, I really did, with them bringing in some veteran hitters to surround their two young stars Tulo and Cargo...but then they went and did it... They instantly became the side show of the circus by announcing 49 year old Jamie Moyer a part of the rotation. They didn't just just name him a starter, he's their number TWO guy entering the season. Who knows, maybe this is just management doing him a solid, or maybe 41 year old Jason Giambi needs a roommate. Whatever the case may be it isn't a good sign for the staff.

They should have a respectable offense with the previously mentioned vets (M.Scutaro, R.Hernandez, M.Cuddyer) they brought in to go with T.Tulowitzki, C.Gonzalez, T.Helton, and R.Fowler, but my very unsophisticated trickle-down-shitty-pitcher theory tells me their young arms just aren't ready. If they were, Moyer would be on a set somewhere doing his own NL West Preview instead of preparing for a start in 4-5 days...

Projection: Last Place

The Magician

By the All-Star Break these guys will have you scratching your heads and dumbfounded. "How are the Padres still hanging around?" you'll be asking. Now it wont really be magic, just more of an illusion... You see, the Padres don't have a single star on their roster, but this doesn't mean they can't play a little bit. They may not have an ace, but they do have five serviceable guys in E.Volquez, C.Luebke, D.Moseley, C.Richard, and T.Stauffer.

As we all know, every good magician has props, and the Padres have a huge one in Petco Park. It is their great equalizer. Without it, they wouldn't be able to pull off this trick of competing until the break without one validated star player. Seems like no matter who's pitcher or playing in San Diego, every time I look it's something like 2-1 in the seventh inning...

These guys will entertain in their usual underdog role, but will eventually be outmatched by the more popular acts of the circus...

Projection: Respectable Fourth Place

The Snake Charmer

Look for the vicious and unpredictable Diamondbacks of a year ago to be hypnotized by the Snake Charmer this year. They snuck up on guys last year with 48 come from behind wins..., you can bet your bottom dollar that wont happen again. Their lineup is filled with good young hitters that I think surprised a lot of guys, I think the book is out and opposing pitchers will be looking to exact revenge. They will hit again this year because they play in a hitters park, but I expect a couple down years from this lineup in 2012... Then there's Ian Kennedy, who won 22 games and almost won the Cy Young..., another thing I can promise wont happen. Many think the acquisition of T.Cahill keeps these guys on pace to repeat, but I just don't see him having a great year. The sinker-baller from Oakland has either been really good or pretty bad throughout his career and with the fast infield and great hitting conditions in Arizona, I see him winning about 12 games with an ERA in the high 3's or maybe even 4's. J.Collmenter was lights out to start last year, but as guys started to figure out his changeup, he became very average, very fast! Never been a fan of left handed starter J.Saunders, another guy I think had a "fluke" season...

The Charmer will be a busy man in 2012...

Projection: Third Place

The Fire Breathing Juggler

The Top of the Giants rotation is the fire, everything else seems to be a juggling act...

We know Lincecum, Cain, and maybe even Bumgarner are gonna have great years. It's what to expect from the rest of this team that is up in the air. Will Zito be in the rotation all year? (Most likely NOT) Who will be in the outfield? They have about 6 guys that will be rotating in and out..(M.Cabrera, A.Pagan, G.Blanco, B.Belt, N.Schierholtz, A.Huff) All this after letting 4-5 proven outfielders go in the off season. Will Posey be able to catch the whole year after returning from his brutal leg injury? Who's gonna end up the double play combination? (Crawford, Theriot, Burress, Sanchez) All these questions are still being juggled around by the organization as the season gets ready to start...(Oddly enough, that clown they have at closer is one of the pillars of the organization and should have another good year.)

Even with all this uncertainty, when the juggling act is finally straightened out, I feel the fire will bring them home strong and probably into one of the Wild Card Spots...

Projection: Second Place

The High Wire Act

And for the main attraction... We have the Dodgers! Who knows how much money Magic Johnson has invested into this team, all we need to know is that he is the new "Owner"!! And even though most of you would love to see his new team fall off the wire, they wont...

They have the Cy Young Winner and MVP (Braun cheated) of the National League, improved depth, and motivated ownership. If you don't think they're going to be buyers at the break, you're crazy! They overpaid by 700 Million Dollars to get the club, what's 20 mil to bring in a few band-aids??

They have 3 veterans filling out the rotation, (T.Lilly, A.Harang, C.Capuano) they are gonna need a good year out of one of them, whoever struggles will be replaced at the break. This same strategy will probably be applied to the pen...

Much like a high wire walker, the Dodgers don't have the option of failing. You can't spend 2 Billion Dollars for a team and lose, you just can't... It would be like falling off the wire.

Projection: First Place

warriorfan707
    SBR Poster of the Milennium
    warriorfan707's Avatar Become A Pro!

u cant be serious

Giants gonna take this division easily

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

love your write up IIFOLD!

But you are fukked in the head if you think the dodgers will win the west, they have a BAD manager and too many holes.

Salud pal

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan707 View Post
    u cant be serious

Giants gonna take this division easily
    Just like last year?

The best part is foldii will drop a bundle on the nl west winner as a world series future come august. Solid write up though

warriorfan707

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    Just like last year?

The best part is foldii will drop a bundle on the nl west winner as a world series future come august. Solid write up though
    No, like the year before.

When Buster posey, the heart and soul of the Giants was actually healthy and in the lineup every day. When Huff was in decent shape and playing for a contract. And when Freddy Sanchez made an appearance on occasion.

If you dont think the giants win the west, you dont know baseball.

DudleyDawson
    DudleyDawson's Avatar Become A Pro!

agree with your analysis, kinger....I've got the Giants finishing last tho.

warriorfan707

Quote Originally Posted by DudleyDawson View Post
    agree with your analysis, kinger....I've got the Giants finishing last tho.

DudleyDawson
    DudleyDawson's Avatar Become A Pro!

Giants offense will be bottom of the league, time will tell! They'll be lucky to finish within 10 games of .500.

warriorfan707

I will give you +300 the Giants finish better than .500

If they finish .500 or worse you win 3x the amount of pts u put up

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan707 View Post
    No, like the year before.

When Buster posey, the heart and soul of the Giants was actually healthy and in the lineup every day. When Huff was in decent shape and playing for a contract. And when Freddy Sanchez made an appearance on occasion.

If you dont think the giants win the west, you dont know baseball.
    Oh so what happened last year?

In other words you never know. As far as betting goes without knowing the odds you'd be crazy to lay money on the giants....like last year.

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

All in on the Brewers

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

Giants' offense is underrated and though the Diamondbacks will be better offensively, the Giants will be better, from top to bottom than the Dodgers. Giants pitching is top notch. Last year, we saw an injury riddled Giants team that was demoralized from an anemic offense. Lincecum and CO. were visibly distraught at after giving up a whopping two runs...no one was loose and everyone was in a mental funk. This year, completely different. Amazing what a clean slate will do.

I'd say Giants and D'backs fighting for first, Rockies in third, Dodgers in fourth, and Padres in fifth.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Dodgers win the division easy, i expect josh hamilton on the team by the all star break.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Having a soft-throwing lefty as a #2 is a common move for a team to use. I don't fault the Rockies for it, but I agree, they will drop a spot or two this year.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I like the Diamondbacks the best of this group but all these teams have major weaknesses/holes......3 teams will be fighting for the division late into the season (most likely Giants, Dodgers, Dbacks)

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Dodgers should be good, but not better than everybody in the west. Mattingly doesn't know what he is doing. He is living off of his name and Torre's game.

taxe91
    taxe91's Avatar Become A Pro!

interesting write up. in regards to moyer starting for the rockies, everyone (the rockies manager included) knows he wont last 6+ innings very often so the bullpen needs to be fresh on the days he pitches. the solution to this problem? starting him the day after a 200+ IP horse in jeremy guthrie. i believe this is the significant motive behind him being the #2 starter.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Quote Originally Posted by taxe91 View Post
    interesting write up. in regards to moyer starting for the rockies, everyone (the rockies manager included) knows he wont last 6+ innings very often so the bullpen needs to be fresh on the days he pitches. the solution to this problem? starting him the day after a 200+ IP horse in jeremy guthrie. i believe this is the significant motive behind him being the #2 starter.
    That is an interesting, and well thought out idea, but I disagree.

Simply the Rockies lack young talent @ in their rotation.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

If Posey plays a full season the Giants will score more runs (How could they not?), but their starting pitching, while good, is dangerously thin. The pitching has to stay healthy AND Vogelsong needs a repeat of last season, big ifs.

Will the Giants get a run off Kershaw this season? Probably not, so they have 5 games to make up on the Dodgers already.

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Mayan and iifold....only guys in thread that know anything about baseball.

warriorfan707

Quote Originally Posted by William Walters View Post
    Mayan and iifold....only guys in thread that know anything about baseball.

Please tell me you're joking.... otherwise you just lost all credibility.

I know so much about baseball it is honestly a little disturbing.

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774