Rays came over 1 in 278,000,000 odds

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

That's an awesome read. Thanks!

iwanttowin
    iwanttowin's Avatar Become A Pro!

It happened only because Yankees lost the last 3 games on purpose. Rays will accomplish nothing in the playoffs.

DemoralizdDreamr
    DemoralizdDreamr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    That's an awesome read. Thanks!
    No worries, i liked it so i thought i should share it

TR88
    TR88's Avatar Become A Pro!

what were the actual odds on top of 8 when rays were down 7 ? Any book offered that ?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by TR88 View Post
    what were the actual odds on top of 8 when rays were down 7 ? Any book offered that ?
    I was wondering that last night too.

TR88
    TR88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    I was wondering that last night too.
    guy in chat said $100, he put 10 and won 1000

LLXC
    LLXC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10451

Numbers are a little off, but it makes the odds appear much larger.

Go Rays, heh.

bradleysnyder
    bradleysnyder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 501

Quote Originally Posted by iwanttowin View Post
    It happened only because Yankees lost the last 3 games on purpose. Rays will accomplish nothing in the playoffs.
    Rays will not do anything in the playoffs eh??????are you smoking paint thinner?????????

This is the hottest team in baseball right now

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

Quote Originally Posted by bradleysnyder View Post

Rays will not do anything in the playoffs eh??????are you smoking paint thinner?????????

This is the hottest team in baseball right now
    bit of a stretch.

bradleysnyder

Quote Originally Posted by hawley View Post
    bit of a stretch.

you must be blind and smoking some of what he is smoking to say the rays are done!

seriously go check the last 20 games history of the rays and tell me what you come up with!

bradleysnyder

seriously i want to know why its such a stretch?The rays have done the impossible and they will continue to do it.Young team that is hungry.Your CRAZY if you bet against the rays.GOOD LUCK!

hawley
    hawley's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

are you a rays fan?

asdfghasdfgh
    asdfghasdfgh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 744

That article is sensationalism at its finest. All the events used to come up with 1-in-278 million are correlated in some way so you can't just multiply the percentage of each individual outcome and treat each like it's an independent event.

Why not treat each pitch after the Rays went down 7-0 as an independent event and multiply the Rays' chance of winning to come up with some arbitrary, inflated statistic? I'm sure we could come up with a number of incomprehensible magnitude that surpasses 1-in-278 million.

I don't mean to take anything away from the Rays. The comeback the Rays had and the downfall of Boston were remarkable, but I don't need some old statistician to tell me how incredible it was by creating an artificial number to quantify it.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: trendon

dontbuythehook
    dontbuythehook's Avatar Become A Pro!

^ agreed

BetterBizness
    My chicks!
    BetterBizness's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7638

Quote Originally Posted by asdfghasdfgh View Post
    That article is sensationalism at its finest. All the events used to come up with 1-in-278 million are correlated in some way so you can't just multiply the percentage of each individual outcome and treat each like it's an independent event.

Why not treat each pitch after the Rays went down 7-0 as an independent event and multiply the Rays' chance of winning to come up with some arbitrary, inflated statistic? I'm sure we could come up with a number of incomprehensible magnitude that surpasses 1-in-278 million.

I don't mean to take anything away from the Rays. The comeback the Rays had and the downfall of Boston were remarkable, but I don't need some old statistician to tell me how incredible it was by creating an artificial number to quantify it.
    wow debbie downer

Are you pissed off someone beat you to it or something???

It's a "cute"/'Fairy tail way to look at things, putting a big number in the middle and comparing it among other type of incredible events...

why so glum chum?

mossmk16
    mossmk16's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3610

The Yanks wanted T.B to WIN. Yankees hate the Red Sox and love seeing them get ripped apart from the inside out right now!!!!!!!!!!!!

DemoralizdDreamr
    DemoralizdDreamr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Quote Originally Posted by asdfghasdfgh View Post

how much did u lose on the rays??

HenPrivilege
    HenPrivilege's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

the statistician must not have consider the significant outlier that the yankees were.. wasn't like they were throwing out their "A" game players out there at the Trop

asdfghasdfgh
    asdfghasdfgh's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 744

Quote Originally Posted by DemoralizdDreamr View Post
    how much did u lose on the rays??
    $0. My only bets that night were Orioles +1.5, Orioles ML, Phillies +1.5, and Phillies ML. Everything went exactly as I expected that night, but the manner in which it happened was incredible. I understand how epic of a collapse the Red Sox had and how the stars aligned for the Rays. I was just pointing out that the math in the OP's article is misleading and wrong. You can skew statistics to say whatever you want if you're specific enough and this article is just another example of that.
    Attached Images